1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server Name not appearing under Workgroup Name in My Network Places

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dipdog, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dipdog

dipdog Thread Starter

I've been having a little bit of difficulty reestablishing a wireless network that used to work. Right now, I've been trying to fix one problem at a time, and I've been focusing on the server. My question is, I was wondering what it means when the server is able to ping it's own address as well as it's own computer name, but the computer name does not appear under My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>"workgroup name"

Appreciate any help you can offer!

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Are you in a domain?

3. dipdog

dipdog Thread Starter

No, I suppose that's a little misleading. By server, I just meant the computer that has an ethernet card attached to the router. But what I have is just three separate computers (2 PCs and a laptop; attached by a wireless internal network card, a wireless PCMCIA network card, and an internal ethernet card/CAT5 cable/wireless router) in a workgroup

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Pinging your own IP address and Computer Name doesn't really prove that much. And you don't need to be on a domain for any of what you want to work.

The issue is can your ping the computer's IP address and Name from another computer.

---

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

10. Apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#browsing_delay.

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting usually works. If browsing is a problem, you might set it to Enabled. But do not Disable it.

5. dipdog

dipdog Thread Starter

Thanx for your reply!

1. The subnet do all match. Currently 192.168.0.1 for the Local Area Connection on Computer #1 (the one that is attached to the wireless router via cable to the internal Ethernet card). Automatic for the WAN Network Driver, the Net Adapter, and the fax modem (no DSL, I'm using dial-up). 192.168.0.3 for Computer #2 (I've tried this address on both the Local Area Connection when cabled to the wireless router, and on a PCMCIA wireless card). 192.168.0.5 for the router.

2. Subnet Mask for all is either 255.255.255.0, or chosen automatically. Gateway for all is either 192.168.0.5, or chosen automatically. DNS is left blank where I chose a static address, or chosen automatically.

3. I have three computer to connect. Right now I'm just working with two of them. They both are able to ping the other's address, but not the other's computer name. They both are able to ping their own computer names. And they are both able to ping the router.

4. They can ping their own names but not the other computers name. Computer #2 displays it's own computer name under My Network Places, but Computer #1 does not.

5. Same Workgroup name for both.

6. Only Windows Firewall and it is turned off for all Network Connections.

7. XP home, only one user, no password.

I guess the main thing that is confusing me is why I can see the computer name for computer #2 listed in My Network Places on computer #2, but I can't see the computer name for computer #1 listed in My Network Places on computer #1. For some reason, this just seems to be significant. I'm also a little confused why NetBIOS over TCP/IP keeps coming up as disabled on Local Area Network for computer #1, even though I have it checked to be enabled in the properties.

IPConfig/all is as follows. Appreciate any help you can offer!

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : emachine
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-20-0B-2B-37
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

PPP adapter {3F7CC122-9407-4EF6-A3D3-5601156B8ACC}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.150.142.84
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.150.142.84
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.188.146.145
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    This statement bothers me. ... or chosen automatically? If you are doing both static and automatic on your machines, then that could be a problem. Your TCP/IP information should be given by the router or all of it should be static. I'm suprized that you have your machine and not the router as 0.1 address. I think what you should so is let your router hand out DHCP instead so the computers will recieve the correct information. All of the Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS should be the same information.

7. dipdog

dipdog Thread Starter

Just wanted to leave a follow up, on what I've done. I ran through a grocery list of things to do including changing out the cables, scanning for adware, fixing default gateways and DNS addresses, repairing adapters, and reinstalling Winsock. So it's hard to say what helped and what didn't, but in the end run the main problem appears to have been the TCP/IP. NetBIOS over TCP/IP continued to show up as disabled in ipconfig/all, although I had it checked as enabled in the properties. So I reinstalled TCP/IP. But everytime I'd reinstall it, everything would work fine (pinging both computers by name, everything listed in Net View, names appearing under the workgroup, and NetBIOS over TCP/IP status disappeared in Ipconfig/all). But everytime I'd reboot, Windows would say that it was not able to start normally, giving me the option to go into safe mode. I'd refix the LAN address and reenable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Then when I'd reboot, Windows would restart, but NetBIOS over TCP/IP would again appear as disabled in Ipconfig/all, while enabled in properties. So apparently, I'm assuming that something in my startup menu was messing with it. I ran msconfig, disabled everything in startup, reinstalled TCP/IP and rebooted and everything seems to be running fine. My only problem now, is that the wireless laptop (computer #2) gives me a "system error 5" when I try to do a net view of the tower (computer #1, attached to the wireless router). Computer #1, however, is able to do a net view of both itself and computer #2. So, I'm going to look that up. Hopefully it's an easy fix! Have not tried connecting to the internet yet, either, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Anyhow, thank you very much for your help!! If you are aware of a quick fix for "system error 5" in net view, I'd appreciate any help.

- Scott

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  9. dipdog

dipdog Thread Starter

Well, I was able to fix "System Error 5" with the following advice from a really great site at http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Go to the computer which you cannot access, start a registry editor and change the following registry value.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    \SYSTEM
    \CurrentControlSet
    \Control
    \Lsa
    Value name: RestrictAnonymous
    Value type: DWORD

If the value is 1 or even 2, change it to 0, reboot and retest. If the problem is solved, leave the value at zero. If not, you can change it back if you like.

Things were working great for a day or two, then I began to receive "System Error 6118", while using the net view command. All firewalls are turned off. Just wondering if you have any advice for this error.

Thanx!

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  11. dipdog

dipdog Thread Starter

Yes, it was a computer browser issue. Along the way here, I've had command prompt, system restore, regedit, and now the computer browser disabled and have had to manually turn them back on. I'm assuming it was a virus. Unfortunately, I guess I'll have to just wait and see what else was turned off! Anyhow, thanx again.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!