1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server permissions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stuarta, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stuarta

stuarta Thread Starter

I've just rebuilt a new server and all is working ok, until I come to share permissions.

For some reason, when I alter the security permissions for a shared folder, it only gives me the option of servername/users and not domain/users.

As soon as I try to enter domain/users, it just tells me it can't be found. At the moment I've got around it I think with everyone, but would like to know why this isn't working.

I can select individual domain/username but it won't accept the user group.

Thanks

2. AQ78

AQ78

is it resolving DNS ok.

Check your DNS settings again and see if you can ping YOUR FQDN.

Have to ask also, its 100% joined to the domain correctly, did you give the server the same name as it used to have? . Maybe an idea to delete the computer name in AD then rejoin the server to the domain

3. stuarta

stuarta Thread Starter

yep just ping'd the domain name quite happily. As far as I can tell it's joined ok.

4. stuarta

stuarta Thread Starter

Just comparing to our main server. On the main root, d:\data\work, I have main 'sharing' permissions as just

Domain Users (DomainName\Domain Users

which is the same as my main file server. However under security, my file server has

Administrators (DomainName\Administrators)
    Users (DomainName\Users)

and on the server I have issues with

Administrators (MachineName\Administrators)
    Users (MachineName\Users)

as soon as I try to add domain, it tells me it can't find it

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice