1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server Port Suddenly Closed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MNISather2, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MNISather2

MNISather2 Thread Starter

Hello all. I am the head of a small game development team, and a few days ago I set up a server with Perforce. I set up everything correctly, and it has been working for the past couple of days. But today, nobody has been able to connect and after some troubleshooting, I've noticed that no port checker website sees the port (1666) as open anymore. I have not touched my router configuration or server since it has been working. I called my ISP (xfinity) and the only help they gave me was that she could see it as active. So I kept asking if she knew any reason why nobody else could see it as open or connect to it, and she just kept saying it was active, so she was no help other than knowing my ISP can see the port. There is no firewall set up on the server, and I even disabled my ISP's firewall entirely on the gateway, and still nobody can connect or see it as open.
    Any thoughts, theories, or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated, as I need this up and running as soon as possible.
    Thanks

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    I don't know Penforce. But it seems to me that you need some port forwarding set up. I guess you'll need to check that port 1666, if that's what is used, is forwarded to the IP of your server.
    Alternatively - I don't recommend it - you can put the server in the DMZ. If such a thing exists on the router.

3. MNISather2

I've had Port 1666 forwarded already, that's how people were able to connect to it the past couple of days. I'm trying DMZ again.

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    You probably did this already, but double-check the IP of the server. You wouldn't be the first person who had an IP change.
    Can you ping and Telnet the server internally. Both by name and IP? Telnet using the port 1666?

5. MNISather2

Perforce Tech Support said they were able to telnet it from their end and it was fine, so they opened a ticket but they arent getting back to me. i ran netstat and it said the port is established, but not listening. I have windows firewall completely disabled, added rules to the advanced firewall to allow all inbound and outbound on the port. Is there a way i can change it from established to listening. I'm new to networking

6. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Established means that a connection is already made. Probably them making the connection to test. Listening means, obviously, that it's waiting for a connection.
    I assume you mean "Advanced" in the windows firewall. That should have no bearing at all if you have disabled it completely.

7. MNISather2

Correct, even though I disabled it, I felt like it wouldnt hurt.

8. Professionalgirl

Professionalgirl

First Name:
    Tina
    Hi MNISather, Have you tried resetting the connection and doing what Fireflycph suggested?

If possible, try resetting the connection and see if that works.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice