1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server problems

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by MrsWambo, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrsWambo

MrsWambo Thread Starter

Hi, I am using WinXP on a Sony Vaio. A couple of weeks ago I installed and ran Norton Antivirus 2006. When prompted to re-start the computer, I got the screen with all the users, but any person that tried to log on got the message: WININET.dll not found, re-installing may correct the problem (or something close to that). I was told by someone on this website that a virus had attached itself to on of my startup files. I had to do a system recovery, but since then have not been able to get on some web pages. I have Yahoo DSL; I called them and they "pinged" it (?) and said everything on their end looked fine. They led me through some troubleshooting stuff and ended up as puzzled as I was. I can get to my Yahoo! mail sometimes, I can get on Google, and a couple of other things. I am unable to get to my banking, and any games. It says "can not find server" or "this page can not be displayed" I am very frustrated. I did try to un-install my DSL and re-install it; I tried connecting through the Ethernet, by USB, and by phone line (each time un-installing and re-installing). By the way- the ethernet does not show up in device manager, is this part of the problem? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

2. GyverX

GyverX

Do this, Go to www.kodak.com. Let me know how this went and I might be able to help you further. Its been a long time since I have seen this problem and there is something special about the kodak site that, if you can display it then it is another problem but if you can then it has something to do with your registry. IT IS NOT A VIRUS.

Let me know how it went

3. MrsWambo

MrsWambo Thread Starter

Thanks Gyver, I am not at the computer with the problem right now, I will be there around 6pm (central time) Thanks for your help!

4. MrsWambo

MrsWambo Thread Starter

Well, I was able to get all over the Kodak website; was there anything special I should try? It looks like I just can't get on secure websites.

5. GyverX

GyverX

MMM Kodak.com is a DNS type of web site so If you could surf there then its something else.
    1. What browser are you using?
    2. Are your cookies on or off?

If you are using IE go to mozilla.org and get firefox and see if you can get to your banking through firefox

6. MrsWambo

MrsWambo Thread Starter

I installed FireFox and set it as my default browser, but is said "can't establish a connection to the server at en-us.start.mozilla.com"

7. MrsWambo

MrsWambo Thread Starter

Somebody I work with told me to go into internet options: select the content tab; Under certificates, click Clear SSL Slate (Secure Sockets Layer), then click OK. I guess that did the trick! Yeehaw!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice