1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server tech support

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Hollis2015, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hollis2015

Hollis2015 Thread Starter

:mad:I'm trying to build a web page, and I just purchased a new server without knowing that I could get web hosting for free. The thing is, there must be some advantage to having your own server even if you are not all that tech savvy.If that is true I wish someone would talk to me about it since I don't want to have to send the server back!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How much do you know about running a server and security? Do you have a static public IP address purchased from your internet provider? Do you have knowledge about installing, configuring, running a web server or any kind of server? What kind of server did you purchase? Does it have an operating system, if so which one? What web design tools are you planning on using?

If all you want to do is have a web page, send the server back and purchase online web hosting, massively easier, cheaper, and safer.

EDIT: I'll also move your thread to the more appropriate Web Development forum since Hardware is not the right section for your questions, although Windows Servers or Linux may be more appropriate in the end depending on what you decide you do and what kind of help you'll need.

3. trogdo

trogdo

At the risk of coming across as mean, if you didn't know you can find free hosting online, you have a VERY steep learning curve ahead of you if you want to run a server. I heartily recommend you send it back, and instead spend a small part of that money on paid hosting with godaddy, one.com or any of the other dozens hosting services.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice