1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

server time

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by godzigla, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. godzigla

godzigla Thread Starter

Hey,

I am not really convinced that this is an issue found only in Windows 2000 but it seems like a good place to start. My problem is this. I am running a local area network with Windows 2000 workstations and a Windows 2000 server. Every so often the workstations reference the server for the time, and it changes every time, mainly because it can never be synchronized to the second, so there is always a slight change. That would be no issue for me, however I am running a time sensitive program that locks and unlocks doors at certain times, and every time there is a time change in the internal clock, it updates the software and in turn that updates the door computers. Again, that would not be so bad, but every time it updates the doors automatically default to locked, which can and yes has happened in the middle of the working day locking people in and out of places. The only solution presently is to keep this workstation that runs this specific software unconnected to the network, which limits the uses of the machine greatly.

So I guess my question is how do I stop the workstations from referencing the clock in the server and changing the time. IF I can stop that update then I can stop that information from going to the door and I can stop locking people in their offices. What do you think?

Thanks for all your help.

Oh, one more thing, when writing any helpful suggestions word them like I am four so I can make sure I can follow them.

Thanks again!

2. Dan O

Dan O

W2k time synchronization is controlled by Windows Time Synchronization Service (W32Time). But it should not be stopped as it is critical for W2k authentication, which is based on for MIT Kerberos 5. A Workstation's time is synchronized during logon and again by default every 8 hours.

Re-synchronization that changes the time should not occur on a PC that is left running, as it requires a 2 minute different for it to occur. I recommend you replace the PC that is controlling the doors with a high quality PC. On a cheaper PC a poor power supply or motherboard may cause the problem.

3. Brooks

Brooks Guest

How do you authenticate to the network with that Windows 2000 box?

The reason I ask this, is if you are just logging it on as a workgroup type computer and accessing shares, then the kerberos encryption is not used and you can safely stop the time service.

On the other hand, if you are authenticating it to a domain, then you will need to leave the time service enabled. It will lock you out of being able to authenticate to the domain if you are out of synch.

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q232386

How many computers are running this software? If it is just the one, then I might just leave it off of the domain.

Also, look to see if the company that produced the software for the doors program has an update for this issue. You can't be the only company with this problem and they might have a workaround for it.

4. Dan O

Dan O

Network time synchronization is also an important function that ensures that time-sensitive programs such as messaging, financial, and security applications operate properly.

From what I have read it a must-run service. It is different from the NT time service, which is an optional service you install from the Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Resource Kit.

5. godzigla

godzigla Thread Starter

So are you saying there is no way to turn off this option without frying something? Or losing something valuable. Are you in fact implying that if I stop the Net Synch that I would be kind of "crossing the streams" which we all recognize as something universaly bad?

This is a decent machine, and unless it is the battery I dont think that the fault lays in the hardware. Maybe since this machine is constantly running the time update always happening around the same time everday makes sense.

I would however like to see the option to turn the time synch on or off, or is it like you said a default that cannot be stopped?

6. Dan O

Dan O

No, you can go into Windows' services and stop it and change the default, which is Auto. You may not see a problem, but there are risks. The problem that is occurring is a symptom, like a cancer. You can ignore it or even work around it, it's your choice.

But it is generally not recommended to turn off time synchronization for messaging, financial, and security applications where timing is critical. At first losing two minutes here and there is not a big problem, but they do add up. But if an audit or investigation ever does occur you may have to answer why you did it.

As for the PC being a decent machine, any PC can have a problem. My point about using a cheaper PC is that you are more likely to have a problem with a cheaper PC.

I am not a risk taker and if it were I, I would swap out the questionable PC. If the problem did persist I would do as Brooks suggested, contact the vendor for a fix. By swapping out the PC you have eliminated a big variable and the vendor should be more responsive.

7. godzigla

godzigla Thread Starter

How do I stop it?

8. Dan O

Dan O

Select Start, Contol Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, Services, and Windows Time. Stop it and change service properties from Automatic to Manual.

9. godzigla

godzigla Thread Starter

I went to start-control panel- dont have performance and maintnance, what now?

10. godzigla

godzigla Thread Starter

Forget my last post, I found it. Thanks for all your help! I will now take into consideration all the things that can go wrong if I switch it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice