1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server to server virtual connection (VPN?)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Johnny5, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Johnny5

Johnny5 Thread Starter

I recently started administering an existing network of a small company. There are two locations, about 100 miles apart. Each has a Win2000 server and about 12 workstations each, some XP Pro and some Win2000 Pro. Each server is connected to the internet using a DSL account, and the Win2000 servers are configured as routers. I want to be able to map one server to the other, and vice versa. I want users to be able to use a database on one server from the other location. I am not sure how exactly I would best be able to do this; do I need to set up a VPN, and if so, what exactly do I need to click on to enable incoming and outgoing communications, so that these servers can see eachother and talk? Can it be done with just the Win2000Server or do I actually need to buy routers or other software? I have messed around with the VPN connection wizard but can not get a connection established. RRAS is not somehting I am familiar with, so that is where I got stuck. I am pretty new to all of this so as much detailed help would be appreciated!
    Thank you,
    johnny5 is alive

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

*bump*

3. Johnny5

Johnny5 Thread Starter

Let me know if anyone has any answers,
    I appreciate it,
    johnny5

4. Monk_

Monk_

I dont know your location but, if you plan on exchanging large bits of data you may want to consider a Frame Relay network between the sites. DSL isnt very efficient for what you want to do. Frame works very well and you could then also go to a single internet connection for both sites by bridging the Frame. The cost may go up some but there is no comparison with the performance. Just my opinion.

5. Johnny5

Johnny5 Thread Starter

What exactly would that entail?

6. Monk_

Monk_

You need to decide on a provider and how much bandwidth you need. The provider will offer good advice on that. I recently did a three node Frame with Verizon and Adtran, it went very smoothly.

Here are the basics of Frame Relay:

http://www.frforum.com/basicguide/toc.html

7. JKoharchik

JKoharchik

Terminal Services Info

Try this... I am setting up another location about 5 blocks away and we use Access DataBase, which is an enormous file. Too big to drag over a dsl/t-1 line. Terminal Services is Really simple to set up. They only thing I had a glitch with was the security on the mapped drive of the server I needed everyone to connect to. It is actually a VPN but built into Win2K and works very well. Each user gets their own desktop and instead of dragging Entire files over the line and causing congestion, it takes a picture of the image and sends it to the requesting pc, acknowledges each keystroke and sends it back to server. I think it is much easier than RRAS. One thing is the licensing. They expire after 90 days unless installed on win2kPro or XpPro OS's!!! Let me know if you try it !!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/132635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice