1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server won't work with wireless network...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bjork24, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bjork24

bjork24 Thread Starter

I just purchased a Linksys 802.11g Wireless router for my home so I could share broadband access with my new laptop (Compaq 2500). Prior to setting up my new wireless network, I was running a server of my main desktop. Since I use DSL, I had to build a small client that resolved my ever-changing IP address with zoneedit.com... to make sure the domain name for my server was always pointing to the correct IP address.

Anyways, ever since I set up the wireless router, I can't access my server! The IP always resolves to the one for the router, and whenever I access it, it goes directly to Linksys's router settings page. I've disable the DHCP server that was enabled by default through Linksys, but beyond that, I'm helpless!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

2. CagedFury

CagedFury

The way I understand it, you are trying to use your desktop as a web server to the outside world, and now, the router is answering rather than the web server. Correct?

Have you set up a DMZ or virtual server passthru up on the router? You'll need to do that in order to let the outside world have access to your PC/Web server.

3. bjork24

bjork24 Thread Starter

I haven't set a DMZ pass-thru up... how would I go about doing that? Is there a good tutorial online?

4. Rockn

Rockn

If you want a "server" behind the router you need to set up port forwarding. You can also put it on a DMZ but then it opens up everything to that PC not just port 80. Look up the port forwarding or NAT in the router settings and it is pretty self explanatory on how to add an entry.

5. bjork24

bjork24 Thread Starter

WOO HOO! I figured it out... port forwarding is the way! Thanks a million! :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice