1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Service Blockers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Anim9or, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anim9or

Anim9or Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm not entirely sure what my problem is and I've been chiseling at it for about 3 weeks, without gettting much success. My computer has been having a lot of trouble ltely, and I'm pretty sure it's all coming from the same root. The main issue right now has to do with the audio service. usually when I start my computer and check "Sounds and Audio Devices", I get a message saying "No Audio Device" and I can't change any options. I can remedy this by going into Administrative Tools>Services>Finding Windows Audio Sevices>Pressing Start. This will either activate the sound card as i it's worked the entire time, or load very slowly only to say that the service will not respond in a timely fashion. If this error occurs, no other service will start either. There are other problems as well, but they seem to be fixed when the sound card activates). Other problems include firefox failing to start(which seems to correlate with whether or not the Sound Card Works) no Windows XP Theme,(which had been corrupted, as well as trouble starting the themes service, and sometimes the startup freezes and explorer.exe(taskbar) ends up with an eternal hourglass for a mouse(not sure what's causing it, but i think it has something to do with the theme.

I am running Windows XP professional with 2GB of RAM
    it is a homeade computer with A Pentium D Processor and MSI Motherboard- 945GZM6
    The sound card is a C-Media Wave Device

Thanks in advance!

2. vicks

vicks

3. Anim9or

Anim9or Thread Starter

Thanks for the page, I tried it, and the Audio device seems more likely to start now, but still won't automatically do it on startup. Sorry, I forot to mention on other thing in my topic. I'm almost certain that the problems tem from something blocking the "Services". This would explain why it keeps timing out and why I sometimes see the audio service stopped if I leave it alone for a while. Is there anything that may bee trying to alter my services? I've already tried uninstalling all antivirus software(I know, bad idea), and something's still in its way.

4. vicks

vicks

Have you tried going to Device manager to see if there are any Yellow triangles w/! on it?
    You might try going there and right click on the Sounds/Audio, select update driver.
    As to the timing out... Right click anywhere on your desk top select Properties, screen saver, click on the little box for power. In the window that opens select the advanced tab, there you can select the amount of time to wait before shutting different things down.l
    Good luck.
    Let us know how it comes.
    Vicks

5. Anim9or

Anim9or Thread Starter

No, little boxes, I got that solved when I installed the drivers and as for the power box, I think that's just monitor related power-saving. I feel like I have something on my computer that thinks it's correcting the problem by shutting off the services or keeping them from starting, but I can't figure out what, ecspecially since I have no anti virus or registry fixers installed.

Sorry for making this so difficult.

6. vicks

vicks

I strongly suggest that you install an Anti Virus program. There are several free ones.
    Then run it... Stay away frmo any registry fixer. If you need suggestions for AV and Spyware removers post back.
    vicks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/815250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice