Service Not Started (moved to Networking from XP)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TheReaper

Whenever I try to set up a network with my two WinXP Pro comps. Comp 1 keeps saying "The Server Service Not Started" when I try to share folders but the second comp sets up fine. I can access files on comp 2 with comp 1 but comp 1 can't act as a server. Is there a way to fix that? If you need for info please tell me.

Reaper :confused:

TheReaper

I've tried that already, I get an error message saying the file can't be found.

That's not good. Look in the details of the service and see what file it points to.

You might also want to try running a system file check to be sure that none of your Windows files is missing or damaged.

Run: sfc /scannow

The "Path to executable" should be:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs (if C: is your system drive and Windows your installation directory).

You might also check the Event Viewer to see what error appears when you try to start the service.

TheReaper

I'll try that, the scan didn't do anything. An hour worth of scanning with no result at all. (n) ;)

TheReaper

The Event Viewer didn't give me much information that I didn't know already. The description of the error...

-----
The Server service terminated with the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
-----

If the error code helps: 7023

TheReaper said:
I'll try that, the scan didn't do anything. An hour worth of scanning with no result at all. (n) ;)
Who knows? Maybe it fixed something else.

Do you have that entry in "Path to executable"?

It could help determine if the service has been altered in some way, or the path to the executable is incorrect. Never mind that for now. Running this will fix it, anyway, if it is incorrect.

Run the reg file enclosed in this zip. But, only run it if C: is your system drive and Windows is your installation directory. It will correct/replace the registry entries required for the Server service to run properly. After running it, reboot and check to see if the Server service is running.

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/serversvc.zip

TheReaper

Sorry that file didn't have an effect. The service still won't start, I restarted my PC and everything.

Can you look in the Event Viewer and see what it says for an error right after trying to start the service?

TheReaper

Could not start the Server service on Local Computer.

Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

OK. Back to the service. What is in the target executable box for that service?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online