1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Service Pack 2 Problem - Need help.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by compquest, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compquest

compquest Thread Starter

Ok, I have Windows XP... My friend thought he was helping and installed on the update thing "service pack 2" I went to uninstall it and restarted during the process. Now i cannot remove service pack 2 from "add remove programs" menu. I have looked for xp2 removal forceware, but cannot seem to find any. last off, I cant get sp2 actual file from windows because well... yea, wont let me download it.

May i please have some help?

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

What current issues are you having?

And, why in the world would you want to uninstall SP2?

BTW don't do silly things like this

Your original post has only been there for 45 minutes. Questions can sit here for hours before they are reviewed/answered.

3. compquest

compquest Thread Starter

I've found on a lot of computers i fix, simply reinstalling/uninstalling to fix lag/delay issue on loading programs.

when i go to remove my sp2, it goes through the process but fails because of missing files. there has to be removal forceware, no?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have no idea why you'd think that SP2 is the issue. A vast majority of the legal XP installations are running SP2, and they have no issues. I have four machines here with XP-SP2, it's never been an issue.

What won't it let you download, I'm a bit confused about what the issue really is?

5. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

as i understand it, he was uninstalling sp2 & rebooted his computer. won't this cause issues cuz sp2 isn't fully installed therefore can't be uninstalled or something like that? & 2 compquest: u need sp2 on ur computer actually, if it's a legal copy of windows that is :D

6. Crash Override

Crash Override

you could always go here and download the SP2 Network Install version, which is a standalone copy of SP2 you can then use to reinstall on machines without having to download it again and again, I used it to slipstream into my XP CD so all my clean reinstalls now have SP2 as part of the initial hit.

7. compquest

compquest Thread Starter

serveice pack 2 sucks for one... and for 2, no you don't need it. at all... im trying to figure out how to reinstlal it so i can uninstall it for good.

8. JohnWill

IMO, you have no idea what you're talking about. The only reason not to run SP2 in my experience is because you have an illegal copy of XP. SP2 actually has a host of important fixes for XP, and anyone running XP should be running with SP2 and the patches that have followed it.

9. compquest

compquest Thread Starter

I know exactly what i'm talking about buddy. ill get my help elseware cause you obviously don't know. thank you.

10. frankjohn

frankjohn

You asked fo help and in return you state in post 5 [Obviosly dont know]You have alot to learn,[MABE] with a attitude like yours I dont think so.I have been reading John wills answers to many guys and gals that need help and they all made sence to me.I have learned alot from him and others from TECH SUPPORT GUY

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

Generally the only problem you will have with SP2 is if it is loaded on a "dirty" machine, eg. full of malware or viruses.

12. polak

polak

13. Goku

Goku

Service Pack 2 is surely better than Service Pack 1 due to it's updated security patches and many more advanced features.And that's why Service Packs are released for!According to me,you certainly don't know what you yourself are talking about,so first you should yourself get an idea or write clearer so that we may imagine your state.So,try to be a little more descriptive or allow JohnWill to close this thread.:)

14. paulus016

paulus016

(n) Get a life pal, sp2 is a must have !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. JohnWill

I think this thread has run it's course, I'm going to close it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice