1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Service Pack 2: Program crashes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by g30dud3, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. g30dud3

g30dud3 Thread Starter

Recently updated XP to Service pack 2, however now when I run Firefox I get a 'Send Error Report' window because its encountered a problem. However, Ignoring this lets me use Firefox fine.

Tried reinstalling Firefox: still happens. It also happens on a few other program such as Windows Media Player and iTunes, or any program that tries to connect to the internet actually.

Initially I thought it was the firewall (makes sense), but turning it off/adding programs as exceptions does nothing. Weird.

I've installed all the post SP2 updates as well.

Dr Watson tells me its a c0000005 error btw.

Can anyone help me?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I would just remove and reinstall any programs that are doing that. If you had not updated them in some time, there may have been incompatible elements. When you are removing programs -- look for any folder related to them in the C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data folder and delete or rename those before reinstalling.

This contains user specfic data that may no longer be valid

The "applications data" folder is normally hidden, so you need to have "show hidden files" enabled in Folder Options > View to see it

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would also hope you ran thorough online scans for spyware and virus before updating to SP2 as you pc needs to be "squeaky clean" to do so.

4. g30dud3

g30dud3 Thread Starter

OK well I did a few searches and found that the error I was getting was a buffer overrun, usually caused by a poorly written virus or spyware/malware overwriting memory when an internet connection is made.

I feel a bit stupid now (hello Rich-M). Running scans now. Thanks anyway :)

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Glad you are on your way!

6. g30dud3

g30dud3 Thread Starter

Fixed it now, thanks!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!