Service Pack 3: Please help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jaalst

hello all,

so i had some previous problems installing service packs 1 and 2, but to my knowledge they both eventually went through. now my computer (a toshiba satellite running on windows xp) keeps prompting me to download service pack 3. so i initiate the update, but then it errors out because apparently my system was missing a necessary file (even with my office professional disk in). last time i tried going to windows' website and i downloaded the "full file" to remedy the issue, and things seemed to be going well but then i recieved the following error:

Error 1402. setup cannot open the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalCo mponents\IMAIL
Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact your computer manufacturer’s product support for assistance.

i searched the error on windows' website and they thought it was something to do with user profiles??? i only saw directions for ME and 2000 so i didn't know what to do. i have also had some issues with my display adaptor (when i run streaming video my computer freezes then flickers off and then on again in 4 bit) and my dad keeps telling me that i should just back up everything and reinstall windows completely. do you think this will remedy the situation? is there an easier solution?

(a toshiba satellite running on windows xp) keeps prompting me to download service pack 3.
not sure what you need. but windows xp only has sp2.

now if you have office xp, the sp3 download can be found below.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...fd-6f69-4289-8bd1-eb966bcdfb5e&DisplayLang=en

sp3 for windows xp will not be released for awhile yet.

Microsoft has officially confirmed that Windows XP SP3 will be released after Windows Vista sometime in 2006. Windows XP Service Pack 3 (XP SP3) will be a regular customer fix and not a major upgrade. SP3 will contain significant security enhancements, in addition to stability and performance improvements.
http://labnol.blogspot.com/2005/05/windows-xp-sp3-service-pack-3.html

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You initiated the download for SP3 from where? Microsoft isn't even releasing it until after Windows Vista(aka Longhorn) is released towards the end of 2006.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jaalst

i'm getting automatic update prompts on my task bar, then when i try going to microsoft update it gives me the following message:

High-priority updates
Microsoft Windows XP

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 resolves various issues found after the initial release of .NET Framework 1.1. These include both security- and non-security-related issues. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed. Details...

Microsoft Office 2002/XP

Office XP Service Pack 3
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) provides the latest updates to Microsoft Office XP. SP3 contains significant security enhancements, as well as stability and performance improvements. This service pack applies to any level of Office XP. It contains all updates included in SP1 and SP2, in addition to updates released after SP2. SP3 applies to the following Office XP products: Word 2002, Excel 2002, Outlook 2002, PowerPoint 2002, Access 2002, FrontPage 2002, Publisher 2002, and Office XP Web Components. Details...

then when i try to install these updates they always error out. the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 errors out with the following message:

SL61.tmp - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services
Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
Process id=0x130 (340), Thread id=0x418 (1048).

I tried to hit cancel to debug but it doesn't work because it can't find the JIT debugger. the office xp service pack 3 update delivers the message i posted in the original post.

i hope this helps, and thank you so much for replying!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online