1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

service pack 4 make computer unhappy?!?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gooberinneed, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gooberinneed

gooberinneed Thread Starter

well, this is my first time posting on TSG and I hope i dont humiliate myself completely first time out (most likely tho = p)

Ok, to the problem at hand. So earlier today I was trying to access some adobe acrobat reader files, so i downloaded the software to view it, but to install i needed windows service pack 2 or higher. So I went to microsoft web site and downloaded express installer and had windows service pack 4 to install ( i went direct from original windows 2000 to sp4, is that a big oopsie right there?:confused: )

It prompted me to restart right after I did that, I didn't because i wanted to save a powerpoint document i was working on for school. So I restarted about five minutes later . . . It got to login screen, then restarted itself. . . got to login screen, then restarted again. . . ??? repeated that since....

I have a version of Norton Antivirus on my comp and I let the liveupdate run when it wants to. . .

Did i just make a big boo boo, or is this truly something beyond my semi-computer-literate self.:(

goober

P.S. Am I going to have to reformat? I am going to lose a lot of important files and I would like that to be a last last last resort.

2. Rache

Rache Banned

Can you get into safemode; I'd suggest uninstalling sp4 and see if that clears it. Then install the sp's in order.

If that's no good try a repair using os disc.

If the worst comes to the worst you can always install w2k on another partition (you do have another hd?) then you can copy stuff across hd's.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Microsoft actually recommend that you go directly to SP4 from the base install.
    Go into safe mode and do the following:
    Start/settings control panel/system/advanced/start up-recovery
    Under system failure, remove the tick from Automatically reboot and restart your machine.
    You should now get an error when it fails rather than just a restart. We can take it from there.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can try uninstalling from safe mode and see if that corrects the problem. As to installing in order, it is not necessary. I would get the entire sp not express install. I have had problems with express install. You can download the sp from ms; it does take a while if you are on dial up. Cable or dsl takes approx 20 min.

Before installing the sp, do some clean up. Delete tmp files, do disk cleanup, defrag, etc. I do not like AV software running when I either install software or update a service pack. Turn off nortons' auto protect and exit norton, then try the install.

As to sp4 causing problems, I have installed it on approx 15 boxes with no problems whatsoever. Some were upgrades and some were done as an intergrated install.

5. gooberinneed

gooberinneed Thread Starter

well, the thing is by the time i get to the login screen it restarts. this started happening right after i put on sp4.

As to me having an extra hd, i dont.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!