1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

service pack2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jerry1967, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jerry1967

jerry1967 Thread Starter

could someone tell me what service pack means and what the difference is between sp1 and sp2 is and where can i get sp2.

2. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Hi jerry1967 . Service packs ( in laymens terms ) are operating system updates , usually containing mainly security flaws , new apps , or bugs. SP2 was released as the " big fix " but is still in beta so i would definately wait until it is released openly before i would install it.

3. xgerryx

xgerryx

Service pacs are basically a whole bundle of updates, fix's and alterations wrapped up into one download and installation. Some of these can be quite big so if you are on a dial up they can take a few hours to download. MS recently gave out a free cd with a lot of this on a single cd. These are still available from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
    SP1 for XP has been around for about a year and a half and SP2 will be available about July this year. It is already available in the beta version mainly for evaluation and testing purposes: Have a look here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2preview.mspx

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

The final edition of SP2 is not available yet. The beta version is out, but generally betas are not for newbies. If you have to ask, Wait for the final release. Many people wait 30 days or more from the release date to be sure that the SP doesn't cause new problems while trying to fix older ones.

A "Service Pack" is a large group of Up-dates/Patches. These modifications are improvements that fix security issues or other bugs that were discovered after the retail version hit the shelves. Sometimes the bugs were known before the release but deemed not important enough to stop the release/sale.

SP2 is second such "improvement". From what I have heard this version is more into the functionality of some of the existing features. It is geared toward the firewall and other security issues.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice