1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Service Packs For WIN XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Anton Wan, Jul 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anton Wan

Anton Wan Thread Starter

I have been reading around on the internet about some of the service packs being bad for your system if you download them. Any truth to these??? On my desktop I had it install all of the current updates and it got really really slow. Long story short I had to reinstall XP on my machine. Any info would appreciated.

Thanks TK:p

2. dai

dai

i ran sp1 with no problems currently running sp2 alpha with no problems,there were a couple of hot fixes with problems that ms rectified did you install sp1 or just the updates

3. Casey820

Casey820

In my experience, operating system updates rarely cause problems. You can prove it by installing Windows on a clean drive and then installing all the updates immediately without using the computer for anything else, installing software, or doing anything at all. I can almost guarantee you won't see any problems. Of course after installing all those updates, immediately defragment the drive. Installing any software will cause defragmentation and can slow down a computer.

The problems people complain about after updating their OS almost always existed before the update was applied. Most people do not reinstall their computer from scratch often if at all. That means they've spent years installing software, uninstalling software, fixing bugs, dealing with blue screen errors and faults, tweaking, cleaning, hacking, etc. All these things can cause huge problems to surface after applying patches that alter system files and references.

If you practice smart computing (I can go into details if you wish), you'll rarely experience any problems when applying updates. I never have in all the years I've been using computers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/150882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice