1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Service Provider

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MaxBit, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxBit

MaxBit Thread Starter

Hi,

I want to use the IPTV technology to transmit some channels. Therefore I consider to become full service provider. For my purpose I see possibilities in the market.

However I am not computer engineer, so, it is quite difficult to make some more progress :eek:

Can someone suggest me something about this, maybe there are companies that can help a lot, like selling a complete servers for service providers.

Second question is can I transmit by using servers about 5Mbps to downloaders ( the users should not notice it too much in the sense they should have enough bandwidth for other things , e.g. when someone has 30 Mbps for downloading) .

2. centauricw

centauricw

You want to look at companies that sell dedicated servers. Basically, you rent the server, put whatever applications you want on it, and they provide the data center and Tier I Internet connection. Optionally, you can go with a colocation provider. It's very similar, except you provide the servers, which you put in a partial rack (meaning you're buying rackmount servers) or cage at their data center. This does require you to be close to the data center, since they won't touch your servers for any reason unless you pay them (it's know as "remote hands"), and then only to reset, power cycle, or plug/unplug something. If you rent a server, it data center could be located anywhere in the world since you will only access it remotely.

The big cost is going to be bandwidth. IPTV is a very bandwidth-intensive service, and in either case, you pay for every data packet received or transmitted from the server. The total bandwidth required is equal the number of concurrent downloaders. If ten people are downloading at 5Mbps, you are feeding 50Mbps. If a hundred people are downloading at 5Mbps, you are feeding at 500Mbps.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

This is not necessarily true. If the IPTV service is set up as a multicast stream, then depending on how the various clients are connecting to it, will dictate how much bandwidth is actually being used. So say a IPTV server is set up to support client connections via multicasting. A client location has a router and switches that support multicasting. A workstation on that network wants to join the stream and sends out a request. The router will then join the IPTV stream. So now you have say a 1 Mbps stream being established. Another workstation on that network now joins the same IPTV stream. So does this mean the bandwidth of the IPTV server doubles to 2 Mbps? No. Because the router and switch supports multicasting, the client's network creates efficiencies by not requesting another stream and just duplicates the packets sent to the original workstation requester and sends it to the new workstation client. And so on.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1076105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice