1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

services.exe bad image

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by freezerqueenbl, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. freezerqueenbl

freezerqueenbl Thread Starter

I started up my XP system yesterday am and when windows tried to start up the screen asking if I want to go to safe mode appeared. I clicked 'start normally' and a box appeared with the following:

"services.exe bad image application or dll c:\windows\system32\msvcp60.dll is not valid
    windows image"

I then pressed OK and the screen went black with the exception of the cursor. I moved it around clicking to see if start or anything were 'hidden' under the black screen, but to no avail. I turned off the computer, clicked on safe mode and the same thing happened.

I am not very savvy with these things, so I don't know how to get the windows system to startup.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Bill

2. The Hound

The Hound

Welcome to TSG...Please post some system specs in your next reply.

You'll need your Windows XP cd to boot to the recovery console.
    Boot the machine, and at the first sign of life, follow the prompt to enter Setup or BIOS. If might be the del key, the F1 key, or some other depending on the make and model.
    Change the First Boot Device to CD-ROM.
    Save changes and exit the BIOS-often the F10 key will do that-read the key on the screen.
    Insert the Windows CD, and press any key to boot from CD. I like the space bar.
    At the first prompt after examining hardware, press R to enter the recovery console.
    Choose the Windows installation to log onto from the list-usually 1.
    Enter the Administrator Password if you've set one-otherwise, just press enter.
    At the c:\Windows> prompt, type chkdksk /r and press the enter key. The scan and fix may take awhile-be patient and let it finish.
    When the scan is finished, type exit and press enter. Remove the CD, and don't press a key if prompted.

Tell us how that goes...

3. THOMSY

THOMSY

I am also having a simular problem.

I've all ready ran Windows Check Disk in the recovery problem, that has had no effect,

I can't get into at all, not even in safe mode.

I am trying some tools in the Herion's Boot CD.

Will let you know if I have any luck.

I've never seen this problem before and I have been working in the IT industry for 6 years.

4. THOMSY

THOMSY

I have fixed the problem on my PC, I hope the same fix will work for you.

I had a different file being my problem, but I think this should work for you too.

I notice that the file was 0 KB, that is not normal, and Im going to asuume that your file MSVCP60.DLL is also 0KB.

Find a working computer running the same Windows and Service Packs, (Service Packs may not be relavent, but can't say for sure) and copy that file and paste into your directory C:\Windows\System32, where the same file is located. Overwrite this file, and start your PC.

This should have fixed your problem.

Note, that this might require you to remove your HDD and run it on a secondary drive on another PC, to allow access to your HDD.

Hope this works.

COMPUTERS ON THE MOVE

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!