1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Set BIOS passwords remotely

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hardtj, Oct 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hardtj

hardtj Thread Starter

To satisfy one of our new security requirements, I have to install BIOS passwords on 2300 network clients. Anyone know of a simple way to touch BIOS settings over the wire? I really don't want to have to visit each of these machines. Vast majority of my network are Dell/Microsoft clients.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

None that I've ever heard of. Since you'd have to get "down and dirty" with the hardware to modify the CMOS parameters, it sounds like you need to invest in a couple pairs of running shoes! :D

3. hardtj

hardtj Thread Starter

Not exactly encouraging; ever hear of Desktop Management Initiative (DMI) from Intel? Or Dell OpenManage? Both of these seem to offer a way to do this remotely, but not easily. Just looking for other input before I slog through the documentation on these. :cool:

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I agree with JW, I have never heard of a remote connection to a BIOS.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, if you know how to do it, I'd love to see a link. It's possible that a specific machine may offer the capability to modify some BIOS parameters, but if you're talking about a generic workstation with 2K/XP, I don't believe that exists.

Make my day, prove me wrong. :rolleyes:

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    HI S/Man. :) Interesting links, though there's no mention of being a remote connection to a client PC, unless I missed it completely :D

But if it is to connect remotely, then that will help my school since we use only Dells here.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

But you should be able to push it down thru login scripts or SMS very easily.

9. hardtj

hardtj Thread Starter

10. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Just remember enabling this will wreak havoc if you do remote desktop support. The first remote reboot with the bios boot password on your gonna cry. We actually are taking our bios passwords off now due to this issue.

11. hardtj

hardtj Thread Starter

Well, I actually am only required to set a bios setup password, not a boot password. I didn't make that entirely clear at the start of the thread. Just trying to keep folks from changing boot device order, etc.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Very interesting :D Let me (us) know if it works. I can pass it on to my boss so we can implement that here too :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!