1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

set external drive as backup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ukgerry, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ukgerry

ukgerry Thread Starter

Hi All
    I do not know a vast amount when it comes to networks...but I have a usb2 280gb hard drive (freecom) and want to configure it to be a backup drive. There are 25 XP pro pc's. The server is running win2000 (one pdc..one backup pdc, a fileserver and a mail server) We have BT Broadband 512k.
    Is there software that I need to use...or can I set a daily backup from what I have.
    Hope I have made sence!!...any advice greatly welcomed!!

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Lot's of ways to do this.

One might be to create a separate directory for each user. Then on those 25 computers, create a simple batch file to copy whatever you want to the appropriate directory. This can then either be scheduled to run at a specified time or when the user clicks on a shortcut to it on the desktop. I have users that each prefer their own method.

You might also schedule something from the server but this might mean you would need to set up a lot of shares on each computer.

3. ukgerry

ukgerry Thread Starter

thanks for reply and advice!!
    All the users have roaming profiles (not set up by me)...and don't use any specific pc? would that make a difference.
    Also...I have never created batch files...I have heard of them...but that's about it :-(

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can't you set up a general location of the file server for all user's data files. Then back that up to an external drive?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/401372

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice