1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Set permission for just one remote user to share a folder

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tgrover54, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

Well, I am totally baffled (and it takes a lot to baffle me!). I want to share the My Documents folder from an XP machine with ONLY one user (the administrator) on a networked Win 7 machine. I have turned off simple sharing on the XP machine. I hate XP!! So complicated to do anything. Anyway, under security, I have tried share this folder, and not to share folder. I have gone into Advanced and messed around with permissions, taking out Everyone, using Admin only, using Network. At one point I ended up not being able to access My Documents on the local computer and had to jump through many hoops to change ownership and disable read only so that the user could use her own files!

The problem is, under Advanced in the permissions area, I cannot see the users on the remote pc to choose which one should be allowed access. I have read countless help suggestions, but none of them tell me how to actually find a particular user on the Win 7 pc and give ONLY that user permission to read (not to change) the files in My Documents on the XP pc. Can anyone give me a step by step process to do this? I work on computers all the time (I am a computer consultant) so it is embarrassing that I cannot set up this seemingly simple situation. Ugh!:eek:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    1. Find out the name of the account on the remote machine (you may have to ask the owner of it).
    2. Add a new account on the XP with the same name as on the Windows 7.
    3. Give the desired permissions to that newly created account.

EDIT: It's simplest if you use the same password on both machines. Else you'll need to tell the Windows 7 account owner the XP's password.

3. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

So what you are saying is that if I create a user account (limited or administrative?) on the XP with the same user name as the account I have on the windows 7 machine the XP will recognize it as being on the other computer and give permissions? I am the admin in the building so I know both passwords--will I need to enter the XP password just once to set up this permission on the Win 7? Do I remove the Everyone from the permissions and enter the local users with full control? Sorry for all the questions. This just isn't an intuitive process.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know, but think that it will make no difference.

In effect you can think of it that way. But the permission is for the XP account, and what is really happening is that from the remote (Windows 7 in your case) machine you are doing a network login (limited to file and printer sharing) to the account on the XP machine.

It has been my (limited) experience that the first time you enter the password on the Windows 7 you will be given the option of having the system remember the credentials (login and password).

I'm certainly not the best person to be "tutoring" you, as my (home network) needs are the simplest--just use Simple File Sharing. Pretend that the new login you just created on the XP is owned by a person to whom you want to give certain permissions on certain folder(s) (but not all folders) that you own. Pretend that there is also a third user with his/her own account on the same machine, and you do not want to give any access permissions to that person. If you think of it in those terms I believe you can figure out the permissions better than I can.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/992370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice