1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Set up internet

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vbivins, May 22, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. vbivins

vbivins Thread Starter

Hi, I bought an old desktop and have no idea how to connect to my Spectrum. I have been using laptop for years. When I last has desktop I had a CD provided by AT&T that walked me through. I have an Ethernet cable from computer to box but I do not know where to put in my SSID or connect. Any help greatly appreciated!

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hello and welcome to TSG!!

If you are connecting via cable, you do not need to enter SSID or passphrase. You are already connected. What device are you connecting the PC to? A router?

3. vbivins

vbivins Thread Starter

Ubee provides by Spectrum. Thanks so much! I do not have any available connections showing on taskbar.

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    OK, that looks like it is a modem/router combination. You've got an Ethernet cable connected from the rear of the PC into one of the connections marked "Ethernet" on the rear of the Ubee? Do either of the lights illuminate on the Ubee where it is plugged in?
    It's been a while since I've dealt with XP. If you look in the Control Panel and open Network Connections, do you see anything that looks promising? You can also check under Device Manager and be sure there is a device under Network adapters.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You posted in the "Windows XP" forum, so I'm going to assume that old desktop(no description provided) came with a version of Windows XP.

Go into the Device Manager, then expand the Network Adapters heading.
    What's the exact name of the ethernet device listed there?
    Click the "General" tab.
    Does it say that device is working properly?
    Click the "Driver" tab.
    What's the exact driver version and driver date listed there?

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. vbivins

vbivins Thread Starter

Hi sorry it is a Dell Dimension 8250 with Home Edition. It says 1394 Net Adapter, working properly, I do not see a date.

7. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Ahhh ... There's the rub! ;-) You don't have a network adapter set up. It could be either an Intel or a Broadcom integrated device. You will need a way to download the drivers from Dell's web site. Do you have access to another computer?
    Under Device Manager, are there any question marks? Those might indicate the need for other drivers you'd need to find and download as well.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    To follow up on Gr3iz suggestion on the drivers - if you can't see the serial number for the computer, to to Start > Run > type cmd and press enter. then type wmic bios get serialnumber and press enter. This will (should) provide you with the official serial number that Dell assigned to the computer.

Once you get that 7 alphanumeric number, visit https://support.dell.com and put in the serial number to get all the available drivers for the machine.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Dell Dimension 8250 (support site)
    According to its "Drivers And Downloads" section, it has one of these network adapters:
    Broadcom NetXtreme (unknown model number) Gigabit Ethernet
    Intel (unknown model number) 10/100 Mbps Ethernet

To add to what Mark said in his last question in post #7:
    Is there an "Other Devices" heading or an "Unknown Devices" heading in the Device Manager?
    If there is, what are the exact names of the devices in each of those headings?
    Which of those devices has a yellow question mark or red X next to them?

---------------------------------------------------------------

10. vbivins

vbivins Thread Starter

There are 4: Wrhernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, Mutlimedia Controller, and PCI input device.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Double-click the Ethernet Controller entry to open its properties window.
    Click the "Details" tab, then select "Hardware Ids" in the drop-down list.
    There will be one or more strings that has VEN_ and DEV_ as part of them.
    Advise us what the exact 4-character codes are that follow VEN_ and DEV_ in those strings.
    Those vendor and device codes will identify which ethernet device your Dell Dimension 8250 has.
    Once we confirm that, we should be able to direct you to the software driver for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

12. vbivins

vbivins Thread Starter

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2019
  13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Can you provide this info?

Also, you may not be seeing the Details tab if you are not the admin of the computer. It should look like this:

upload_2019-5-28_12-25-25.png

If you are an admin (it would inform you that you are a standard user if you are not when you go into device manager), then it's possible that you have a hardware failure. Couple with the others that are missing, it may be the motherboard.

14. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    You may need to start with the chipset drivers for that system. If, after installing that, and rebooting, you still cannot determine which driver you need, download both the Intel and the Broadcom drivers. If you try to install one, and it won't take, try the other. It should only allow you to fully install the driver that's applicable.
    Once all that is done, back in Device Manager, see if there may still be some drivers required. I suspect perhaps audio will still be outstanding.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice