1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Set up my gmail to be read on my pc and my android phone

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by polli, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. polli

polli Thread Starter

I have a Gmail account which ages ago I set up to forward into my windows 7 mail account.
    It has always worked well.
    However I also want to access it on my android phone.
    BUT still also on my computer.
    Added the account to the phone and it will send mail fine. But nothing is being received.
    Not sure if I have to alter settings somewhere? But will that affect me receiving mail in windows mail?
    My account settings in forwarding (is that the problem?)
    Forwarding - delete Gmail's copy
    Pop 1 blank
    2. Delete Gmail's copy
    IMAP .. Enable imap

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I haven't used Gmail's forwarding, but certainly "Forwarding - delete Gmail's copy" sounds like new mail to the Gmail account would be immediately forwarded to the other account and deleted from Gmail's server. If you want to continue forwarding to another account you may want to add that account to your phone.

I would advise to just access Gmail via IMAP on all your devices, but you obviously have a reason for forwarding it to another account.

3. polli

polli Thread Starter

Thanks for answering. I would prefer to still let the gmail account forward to windows mail as all my accounts are then at one place.
    But as away from the PC for short periods so would be ideal if I could access the same email (the 2nd gmail account I just added to my phone) as I am out and about.
    Don't understand why I cannot
    Google says just add my gmail details to the phone to set up the account
    No mention of what to do if it doesn't work. Been searching for days
    Is the forwarding the problem you think?
    And can you lead me through how to get it to download from gmail to PC and also android.
    Need it for a trip tomorrow.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not clear to me what a "windows mail" account is. I am assuming you mean a Microsoft Account (hotmail.com, live.com or outlook.com). Anyhow, if you want all mail forwarded to that account why not just add that account to your phone?

I have no experience with Android. For the PC whether I can give exact details depends on what email client you are using. I use Thunderbird and IMAP Gmail.

5. polli

polli Thread Starter

Because I get a lot of mail to that account and don't want it going to my phone.

6. polli

polli Thread Starter

Now I find that the mail is being downloaded to my phone ( even though I have not changed any gmail settings)... But strangely it goes straight to the bin.
    Please help:mad:

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reminder:
    And I don't even know what "the bin" is. Maybe somebody else will jump in here.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1103850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice