1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Set up network between XP 2003 Server Enterprise Edition and Window XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by E33, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. E33

E33 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have 2 operating systems Window XP 2003 Server Enterprise Edition and Window XP Pro Edition installed on Virtualbox machine.

The IP on XP 2003 server is 192.168.8.30.
    i set up the DNS server and new domain, new user (Test) then i set up the DHCP and defined the IP address range from 10.10.10.10 to 10.10.10.30 on XP 2003 Server

then i login successfully on my window xp pro by selecting the username "Test" and the domain which i have created.

But i got confused when i check the ipconfig on xp pro which give me an ip: 192.168.8.32 as still the same and didnt get an IP from the range between 10.10.10.10 till 10.10.10.30.
    My question is that the IP should be between the range mentioned above and not 192.168.8.32.

what can i do to make the XP pro take automatically an IP from the range between 10.10.10.10 and 10.10.10.30.

Thanks in advance

2. E33

E33 Thread Starter

any advise please?

3. Rockn

Rockn

You need to set up DHCP on the same network as your LAN on Virtual Box not another network. Look at IPCONFIG again and post the results back here. It is probably picking up DHCP off of the host LAN and not the virtual LAN.

4. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

DHCP does not need to be on the same network as the LAN, it just needs to be able to hear DHCP discover packets (which are broadcasts). Keep in mind, your client will send that broadcast packet out when it starts and will respond to the first DHCP Offer packet it receives, whether it is correct or not. If there is another DHCP server on your network (including SOHO routers), they will probably beat your server. You should either have one DHCP server on the network (disabling all others) or make sure all DHCP servers are handing out the same information (per network) but are not sharing the same scopes.

Incidentally, the name of the server O/S is Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. XP is not a server; XP signifies the client version. Microsoft separated the client and server names with this version (2000 was the last version where the client and server had the same name.)

5. E33

E33 Thread Starter

I change the scope in DHCP to 192 then every thing work fine.
    But how can i add a XP home edition to the same network?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice