1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Set up Static IPs on all computers in a network?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Majinalchemy, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Majinalchemy

Majinalchemy Thread Starter

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Yes, each computer. The IP addresses should be different for each computer (eg: 192.168.1.2, 192,168.1.3, 192.168.1.4).

3. Majinalchemy

But then what would happen if I didn't?

4. Frank4d

I'm not sure what you mean? If the addresses are all the same, you will have conflicts between them and your router/modem and your network won't work. And if they aren't static IPs then they have to be dynamic IPs.

5. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

if you want to assign static IP to some but not all computers on your network, limit the DHCP server to pool of certain IP addresses (e.g. start address 192.168.1.101, max connections 20) and assign only IP addresses outside this pool (any IP except the server, usually 1, and 101-120) to those computers with static IP

6. Majinalchemy

What if I assigned a static IP thats outside of the range of DHCP Ips? would everything work?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why would you want to go to all that trouble? Is there some specific reason you want static IP addresses? It's a lot easier to manage the network and changing configurations with DHCP.

8. Majinalchemy

Dedicated server, DL speeds.

9. Frank4d

Yes. My router is 192.168.0.1, my printer is 192.168.0.2 (static), and my PCs are DHCP 192.168.0.3 and up.

10. Majinalchemy

If I added all the numbers to the TCP/IP box or whatever, and my internet doesn't work, what should I do?

11. Frank4d

If that happened something is wrong. Do an IPconfig/all and post the result for a PC that does work, and for another that does not work.

Also note if you are assigning static IPs that conflict with DHCP IPs previously assigned by your router, you will need to reset your router.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Wrong and wrong. While dedicated servers may want a static IP address, there is no reason for all the workstations to have them. Download speeds are unaffected by how the workstation obtains the IP address.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If two computers accidentally get the same IP address, an error message would come up on each computer's screen.

"If I added all the numbers to the TCP/IP box or whatever, and my internet doesn't work, what should I do?" - Has this happened? If so, sometimes when entering static IP addresses, it is best to use your ISP's actual DNS server addresses rather than the IP address of the router.

14. bogyi

bogyi

Very simple...

In your router range the IP address for DHCP.

In your router, you can set the IP address range for DHCP.
    For example: start - 192.168.1.30 End:192.168.1.250

So the IP address for those computers using Auto assigned by DHCP will start from 192.168.1.30 to 192.168.1.250.

For those computers you want to be using static ip, give them from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.29.

In that way, you won't get IP conflict between Static and Dynamic IPs.

Best.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/624721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice