1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting a picture file (JPEG, gif?) as a background for an Adobe Acrobat PDF

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Jade Eyes, Nov 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jade Eyes

Jade Eyes Thread Starter

hello there.

i have a template MS word document that i regularly convert into a PDF.

In MS word it is quite simple to set the background of the document to feature an image file. however, when the document is converted to PDF the picture isn't 'carried' across along with the text and other formatting.

ok, well, fair enough. but surely there must be someway of setting a picture file as the background upon which the text appears?

i have taken a look through Acrobat's help files and gone to their homepage, but so far haven't figured it out. sadly, emails to Adobe's tech support people haven't recieved a response (that was several weeks ago).

if anyone could give me a few pointers, that would be terrific - even a simple "no, it can't be done," would at least be something.

with thanks

jade eyes

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi JE.

Do this instead...

Don't set the picture as a background in Word--they're only compatible when you save as HTML as far as I know.

Instead, go to the header and footer, insert the picture and resize it to fill the whole page. I think that'll work for ya.

3. Jade Eyes

Jade Eyes Thread Starter

hi dreamboat

ok, well did as you suggested, and while that kind of worked (damn good idea btw) it resulted in not being able to type within the normal 'body' of the page, because of extending the size of the header area to accomodate the re-sized picture left nowhere on the page to type... however, you had the right idea, so what i tried was to work within the normal 'body' area of the document.

i inserted a text box, then within that, inserted the picture file.

it was then just a matter of re-sizing it to fit the desired amount of the page (i choose to leave a plain white 'border' of 'normal' page space around the picture, which was just as well, or the picture itself would have covered the header and footer, rendering them invisible/obstructed).

i then inserted a second text box over the top of the first one; it was a little fiddly, but nothing too dire, to align these two text boxes, one on top of the other, on the page.

i then tapped in some 'junk' text in this second text box, ran it through Adobe Acrobat, and voila`! am happy to report it appeared in the acrobat pdf version precisely as i wanted it too!

you're an angel, dreamboat! thank you!

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    If you can't type normally over the image, then you need to right-click the image, hit Format-Picture and then Layout tab. Choose "behind text".

5. Jade Eyes

Jade Eyes Thread Starter

hello dreamboat

well, i took a shot at your suggestion, however, when i hit the 'format picture', after right clicking, while there were a number of options available, a 'layout' tab wasn't one of them.

i'm using ms word 97... would that make a difference?

hope you're well and happy dreamboat. and thanks again.

jade eyes

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/104685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice