1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting a router as a wireless receiver

Discussion in 'Networking' started by archer9, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. archer9

archer9 Thread Starter

So is there a way to make my Air Live WT-2000R router receive network from another router (Or in my case a laptop which I use as a router) that is in the other room? The laptop has a wired internet connection. And I have a PC with only a router. I know it is possible to do with a software called Tomato.

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Unfortunately I have little experience with such stuff, and I can barely differ an IP adress from DNS. I hope you get what I mean, any help would be much appreciated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, does the router in question even show up on the Tomato compatibility list? They are pretty restrictive as to the routers that support that firmware.

You'll have to do this with 3rd party firmware for that router, since it doesn't appear to have a wireless bridge mode.

3. archer9

archer9 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying, John.
    I am not sure. I can't find their compatibility list.

Do you mean that what I want IS possible? Could you please expand on that 3rd party firmware thing?

4. JohnWill

Tomato is 3rd party firmware that replaces the manufacturer's functionality.

Here's the Tomato Compatibility List, don't see your router on it. I checked DD-WRT firmware as well, and it's not on that list either.

I don't think you're going to get this working...

5. archer9

archer9 Thread Starter

Dammit, oh well. I'll keep an eye on this thread for a while. In case a miracle happens and someone has a solution for me.

Thanks for your time.

6. JohnWill

The solution is to buy a product that has a wireless bridge capability. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/953771