1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting Excel 2003 as default to open files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JudyDi, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JudyDi

JudyDi Thread Starter

I recently installed MS Office 2010, but kept my installation of MS Office 2003. Very glad I did, because quite often I get errors in 2010 and it closes my file. It does a save of my doc so I can recapture it, but that is a nuisance. With my existing spreadsheets, I always want them to open in 2003. At least for now.

I have gone through the 'open with' routine, doing the browse and going directly to the folder containing the 2003 version of excel.exe and specifing that as the program to use to open Excel spreadsheets. I checked "always use this program....", but when I click on the file it opens 2010.

I find I have to open 2003 first and then load the file. I don't want to have to do that.

Running WindowsXP, SP3.

Any suggestions?

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi JudyDi

Since this is a question seeking help, it does not fall in the category of "Tech Tips or Tricks" - (Share the tech-related tips and tricks that you've come across).
    Therefore I have moved your post to the "Business Applications" forum where you should receive more help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/950746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice