1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting folder view default in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alex Ethridge, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I am trying to set "list view" as my default folder view in Windows 7; but, the "apply to all folders" button is grayed out. I am relegated to changing it ad infinitum.

How do I 'un gray' this button.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You must have a drive selected, if you have "Computer" selected then it is grayed out.

3. Alex Ethridge

Tried it in "Computer" folder. Tried it when the root C folder is open. Tried it in "Documents" folder. Tried it in "Program Files" folder.

All results are the same.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Is your user account a standard or Admin?

5. Alex Ethridge

I guess that's one area I know very little about--and what I do know confuses me.

6. Alex Ethridge

I enabled the Administrator account per these steps:

Typed secpol.msc in a Command window.
    Local Security Policy appeared.
    Clicked Local Policies> Security Options where I saw an entry that read "Accounts: Administrator account."
    I double-clicked the entry and enabled it
    Logged off.
    Logged on as Administrator.

Nothing has changed. I tried it in My Computer, Documents folder and in Program Files folder.

7. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Have you tried it as a standard user?

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Have you applied any hacks to Windows 7? The Apply To Folders button should not be grayed out if you've select the C:\ drive, for example. You can't have selected any libraries or the Favorites section. I would also strongly caution against using the Administrator account for anything. Create a new account.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11356-folder-view-apply-all-folders.html

9. Alex Ethridge

I set it up as per the usual screen prompts. I set up/activated the Admin account only after finding the buttons were grayed out and that was only to attempt to 'un-gray' the buttons--which didn't work.
    To this point, everything I've done is standard installations of major programs like Office, Nero and Acrobat--nothing special.
    I don't even know what that means so I doubt I did that. Favorites is something I associate with Internet Explorer and I have no use for IE except for Windows Updates. Aside from that, I never touch IE.
    Well, it is.

After writing the above, I set up the laptop again to check some things and I found that all folders are now in vertical list view except Control Panel. Vertical list view is what I want. Strangely, the Apply to Folders button is still grayed out.

Control Panel is in horizontal list view. I want it in vertical list view. Does anyone know how to do this?

Example: What I have is:
    A B C
    D E F
    G H I

What I want is vertical list view as displayed in Windows XP:
    A D G
    B E H
    C F I

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows 7 now has Favorites in Windows Explorer, and you should see them on the left pane. Or did you change the default Windows Explorer view as well? I don't know what you mean by Control Panel showing drive letters horizontally vs vertically or in a certain order.

Windows 7 is different. I happen to think it has some great features. But things have changed. You'll find yourself incredibly frustrated if you try to make everything look and act exactly as it did in Windows XP. And if that's your goal, why upgrade at all?

11. Alex Ethridge

I see what you mention; but, I just didn't pay any attention to it. I have seen a similar-looking view in Windows 2000 and XP and assumed it was nothing different.
    RANT: If I didn't have to do on-site service and support, I would be still on Windows 2000. I see no functional reason for the existence of XP, Vista or 7. So, to do my work I must be familiar with these change-for-the-sake-of-change offerings from Microsoft because gullible American consumers must have the latest shiny, glittering trinkets.

Asking what the difference is between Windows 2000 and Windows 7 is sort of akin to asking the difference between a 1955 and a 1956 Chevrolet--the fenders and grill--nothing functional whatsoever. They were both changed for the same reason--to churn the market for money and for no real benefit to the consumer.

But, greed drives the economy and I guess that's just Capitalism.

Those are not drive letters. They are examples alphabetical listings of the things you see in the control panel. Besides, Control Panel doesn't list drive letters. If you will look at the example I gave in the previous post, you will see that the alphabetical order is horizontal in the first example (across the page) and is vertical in the second example (down the page).

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I still don't get the problem. Maybe if you provided screen shots.

Since you have to learn Windows 7 to remain competitive in your field, I suggest you embrace it. Don't change a darn thing in Windows 7 for a couple of weeks. Use it as it was intended to be used right out of the box. No hacks, tweaks, etc. You have to become familiar with it since the average user isn't going to make the changes you're trying to make.

You might also want to reign in the obvious disdain you feel for your customers who decided to move forward with technology and utilize some of the great features of a new OS. If you wear your "Windows 7 sucks" attitude while you're providing service, they'll pick up on that and either want you to try to drag them back 10 years along with you. Or they'll avoid the negativity and perhaps find someone else to do business with who is up on the latest and greatest.

13. Alex Ethridge

As for your 'don't change anything' advice, that would not be good for me as that is the way I learn. And I don't express my disdain for any version of Windows to my customers, especially the version they are using. If they ask what I think, I tell them my favorite is still XP; but, that is only because I build my own systems and don't buy big-name computers with a pre-installed OS.

Here are the screenshots. You will notice that in the Win7 shot, the alphabetical order is across the page while in XP, it is down the page.

Attached Files:

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/887739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice