1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

setting partitions at XP install to save data

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hawkeye489, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hawkeye489

hawkeye489 Thread Starter

I have a laptop that has crashed, it wont boot. There are pictures i want to save but cannot get them off.
    I have used Winternals to move the pictures out of my documnets in to the root directory so that they can be accessed freely.

I have tried connecting with a USB lead but i'm sure there are bad blocks on the drive and this is stopping me.

What i want to do is install XP again but retain my files on the drive. Will the install let me partition the drive without losing the files on the drive at present.

I know the the dis FUBARd but i want these pictures.

Is there an application that wil fix bad blocks on a drive through a USB leab...........anything.

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    It all depends on how FUBAR the drive is, but it should still be possible to get data off the drive. Some info or stats on the laptop (make and model at a minimum, hard drive model and size would be nice) would be handy in order to proceed.

When you say you tried connecting through a USB lead, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean you connected your laptop to another through a USB lead in order to transfer files, or that you took the hard drive out and connect it through a USB device (like a hard drive enclosure)?

3. zabusant

zabusant

No, partitioning the drive through Windows setup will erase all the data. You have quite a few choices. I suggest you download Knoppix (live cd) and burn it to a cd. Then you'll be albe to boot from the cd and back up you files.

After you've backed up your pics, I suggest you run chkdsk /r from the recovery console (boot from the windows cd, select R) to fix any problems with the disk if they can be fixed.

What?! :eek:

4. hawkeye489

hawkeye489 Thread Starter

I removed the drive from the laptop and connected it to my main PC. I could see the pictures i wanted but very few of them will copy over. This leads to to think of bad blockes on the drive.

I put the drive back in the laptop and booted with Winternals and it seems to have dies completely now, showing 0bytes for the drive.

I will get knoppix though.

It's a Packard Bell with a 50 gog drive, not sure of ram as i can't get into it and i dod not look in the bios.

Have not been able to get as far as the recovery console, when it boots it shows the post, then it asks what version of xp i want to boot to, then just a black screen.

5. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Well, without knowing your specific model, the best advice is to go to the Packard Bell support site (http://www.packardbell.com/support.htm, select the country which applies to you, and search for the specific model of your computer (you should be able to get this info from the underside of your laptop).

Among the downloads on offer (from what I saw), they have hard drive utilities that can help diagnose and possibly recover data.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/854746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice