Setting password for external USB hard drives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DCM1519

I have several external USB hard drives that I have built and would like to password protect them.

Is there a program available that is especially good. All the ads found in a Google search indicate that their software is the best and I really have no idea. I have never tried doing this before.

Thanks

I'll be happy if can answer this because im using external drives too. And can these password protect files once accidentaly turn on the pc then the external drive is also on? Because normally, if external drive is on upon booting up your pc, all the files in that external drive will be corrupted :(

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Did you format the drives NTFS or is it Fat32. If it is NTFS use a program called DirLock. It is a free program. Just google search for it.

You could also use Axcrypt to encrypt the contents of the drive. It is also free and easy to find with a google search.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Encrypting a large folder would be a time consuming task. :) I do like the little DirLock program, it's really quite simple in concept. It just alters the security settings for the user to Deny.

Encrypting the whole external drive can give you assurance that files won't be corrupted upon booting up pc while the external drive is on? :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I can't imagine how encrypting the files will give you any protection from file corruption, unless you're thinking of a virus/malware modifying them. If it's a hardware issue, the fact that the files are encrypted will have no effect. In point of fact, if they get corrupted while they're encrypted, it's even harder to recover any data.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online