1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting ram speed from 1333 to 1600, please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tuffluck, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tuffluck

tuffluck Thread Starter

Hi all,

I just bought G skill ripjaw series 8 gb ram, 4gb x 2. I successfully put them into my computer with the dual channel but my computer recognizes the speed as 1333. I know this is normal and you have to set it to bios to get 1600.

However, I set the XMP profile to enable and it does show the ram as 1600 but then it overclocks my CPU to something like 3333 or something. I forget the exact number but it seems to be overclocking something else to compensate. So when I get into my desktop and play a video or run a game, it runs extremely slow, and short after my computer just shuts off. This scared me quite a bit so when I went back into bios, before being able to set the XMP back to disabled, it shut off again.

I then put in my old ram and everything ran normally. I then put back in the G skill rip jaw and everything ran normally again. So the issue is def the XMP profile.

How can I safely and stably run the rip jaw at 1600 speed as I had intended to? Is this just not possible for me? I have an i5 first generation.

Please assist.

I put some pictures below of my bios and system specs.

I would really appreciate the help. I am not much of a techie as you can see.

Attached Files:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, no one has any idea what we are attempting to fix. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc, etc.

It does look like you have a msi mb however other than that, I cannot tell anything else about your specs.

It appears from the bios, that your ram is running @1600. Why do you think it is not running at that speed?

3. tuffluck

tuffluck Thread Starter

My current specs -

ram - 8 gb
    PSU - antec 650 w
    processor - i5 750 @ 2.67 ghz

What else do you need to know? I told you I am not much of a techie.

Its not running at that speed because if you look at my bios it says DRAM current frequency it says 1333 mhz. And when I start my computer it shows the ram as 1333 mhz dual channel.

4. jamesx121

jamesx121

I have run across this
    But first U didn't say what your motherboard was.
    #2nd you need to look in the motherboard manual
    to see if it will run your Ram at 1600 without over-
    clocking it.
    On my board 1866 is over-clocked.
    #3 I figure your motherboard is Intel based with
    TURBO BOOST.
    #4 U have to go into BIOS and disable TURBO BOOST.
    after this your PC will run at 1600 and the CPU will
    run @ 2.7 mhz.
    Thats with XMP turned on.
    Let us know what motherboard U have & we will
    see about steps to disable TURBO BOOST
    if you don't have your manual
    James
    Sorry about that, got new keyboard on my
    phone. Autocorrect is going nuts

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the brand name and model number and revision number of the motherboard?

Submit that information or submit the webpage link to it.

----------------------------------------------------------

6. tuffluck

tuffluck Thread Starter

Hi the mother board is msi p55 motherboard. And thank you for the replies.

James, I disabled turboboost in bios and enabled XMP, this made the computer recognize the 1600 frequency upon start up. I got into desktop and checked some videos and was able to do a little browsing before my computer shut off again.

I have been looking around on the web and perhaps the answer is that my mobo will not support more than 1333 ram speed?

Not sure, but everytime my computer shuts down like that its scares the crap outta me.

Any other things I could try? I checked the timing and it is set to 9-9-9-24 as it shold be. As for the voltage I cannot seem to change anything on that nor see what it is set to.

7. tuffluck

tuffluck Thread Starter

Hi all,

my splash screen upon booting says MSI P55M-GD45, this must be my motherboard correct? If not do I have to open the case and look for some kind of sticker?

8. jamesx121

jamesx121

click the link & run this little program--
    there are no malware or viruss in it---it will just tell us what your system is--
    just copy & paste the results that show up.

http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe
    James

9. jamesx121

jamesx121

will look like this
    this is mine
    James

just copy & paste the results

Attached Files:

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your first screenshot shows dram speed of 1600.

Next if you check this link, it will show you that your mb does not natively support 1600 ram speed;
    http://us.msi.com/product/mb/P55MGD45.html#hero-specification

You must set the ram speed manually in the bios OR engage the xmp profile. Either one should work however do understand that your mb does not support 1600 ram without some type of overclock.

11. jamesx121

jamesx121

CRJ---U beat me too it--
    here is the manual page for P55M-GD45

Processor Support
    IntelĀ® Lynnfield processor in the LGA1156 package
    (For the latest information about CPU, please visit http://www.msi.com/index.
    php?func=cpuform2)
    Base Clock
    133 MHz
    Chipset
    IntelĀ® P55 chipset
    Memory Support
    4 DDR3 DIMMs support DDR3 2133*(OC)/ 2000*(OC) /1600*(OC)/ 1333/ 1066
    DRAM (16GB Max)
    Supports Dual-Channel mode

12. jamesx121

jamesx121

13. tuffluck

tuffluck Thread Starter

HI all,

here are the specs:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8183 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 715301 MB, Free - 389569 MB; Z: Total - 2861458 MB, Free - 2298519 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, P55M-GD45 (MS-7588)
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Updated and Enabled

Ok so in order for me to run the ram at 1600 I have to overclock the processor as well, is this correct?

If so, can I overclock the processor safely? I ask because I think when I set the XMP profile to enabled, it automatically overclocked my cpu to compensate for the RAM speed increase. But if my computer keeps shutting down then does that mean that overclocking just makies my computer unstable or perhaps I have to now do other settings to counter that as well?

Thanks for the assistance all, really appreciate it.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. Did you read what I wrote in post #8? It tells you that you can use either of two methods to achieve the ram speed.

You can either overclock the ram OR you can use the xmp option in the bios.

15. tuffluck

tuffluck Thread Starter

and I have tried the xmp option and it makes my computer crash, have you read any of my posts? lol

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice