1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting security/permissions

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by jeefunk, Feb 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeefunk

jeefunk Thread Starter

Our company has a shared network drive (Z:). We're running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. The shared drive has about 20 folders in it which have their subfolders & so on and so forth. I'm trying to set up where certain groups of users can access certain information and other groups are denied access. I've set up groups here and put users in the groups: (the groups I've set up is STAFF and ADMIN MGMT)
    [​IMG]

Went to the folder that I want to set permissions at (for the moment, TEST FOLDER), right-clicked, went to properties, clicked on the security tab like so:
    [​IMG]

Then from there went to "Edit..." like so:
    [​IMG]

I can add individual users to this list and do it that way, but we have 85 employees and probably a couple hundred folders/subfolders. What I haven't been able to do is add groups that I've created. The groups "STAFF" & "ADMIN MGMT" aren't populating under "Group or user names:".

I click "Add" and type in the name of the object I'm looking for, in this case "STAFF" for the appropriate group, like so:
    [​IMG]

Then I get this screen that tells me it can't be found:
    [​IMG]

Help!

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    Are these groups created on the server's local users and groups or in a domain. You may need to change the 'Location' first, if selecting groups from a domain.

3. Stanr691

Stanr691

Peter has it...click the location button and select the domain. It's currently looking at the PC's local users and groups.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice