Setting Time

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lucky5tar

I've got a problem with a machine that's on a VPN so it cannot normally see the Microsoft "time server" - so quite quickly the time becomes inaccurate.

Is it possible to edit the hosts file to include the IP address for the "time.microsoft.com" so it would work? When I try pinging it from a normal internet connection, it resolves as 207.46.232.182 but says host unreachable or the ping times out - not sure why? Is that defo the correct IP address for the time server?

TerryNet

Terry
I think you meant time.windows.com. There are faster and more reliable time servers. Try time.nist.gov before trouble shooting time.windows.com any more.

FWIW time.windows.com resolves to the IP you gave, but does not reply to ping. time.nist.gov does reply to ping, and when I just tried both it updated considerably faster than did the windows one.

Lucky5tar

192.43.244.18 is the correct IP for that one? Because it's non-Windows, will it know I need the UK time?

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
You can also change the time update interval - how often your clock's time is updated with the time server. The clock is updated only once per week, which can allow the time to get off quite a few minutes depending on a number of factors.

This utility changes how often your clock to be updated. You can choose as often as once per hour:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_inet_time.htm

Lucky5tar

What is "use DNS" setting all about?

I understand what a DNS is btw, but don't understand its use in this context

Lucky5tar

I need to know what that means as the machine does not use a normal "internet" DNS.

Can someone please answer this question

TerryNet

Terry
I do not understand your question, and suspect that neither does anybody else. What operating system? Where is this "use DNS" setting?

TerryNet

Terry
XP... hence it's in the XP forum

From Squashman's link http://www.timetools.co.uk/ntp-serve...servers-uk.htm
Duh, that makes sense (XP forum). :eek:

I think that Yes for Use DNS means you can use the name for the time server, while No for Use DNS means you have to use the IP address (the name is not known to DNS).

I tested my theory on the first two entries and it held up for that minimal testing. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online