1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting Time

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lucky5tar, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar Thread Starter

I've got a problem with a machine that's on a VPN so it cannot normally see the Microsoft "time server" - so quite quickly the time becomes inaccurate.

Is it possible to edit the hosts file to include the IP address for the "time.microsoft.com" so it would work? When I try pinging it from a normal internet connection, it resolves as 207.46.232.182 but says host unreachable or the ping times out - not sure why? Is that defo the correct IP address for the time server?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think you meant time.windows.com. There are faster and more reliable time servers. Try time.nist.gov before trouble shooting time.windows.com any more.

FWIW time.windows.com resolves to the IP you gave, but does not reply to ping. time.nist.gov does reply to ping, and when I just tried both it updated considerably faster than did the windows one.

3. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar Thread Starter

192.43.244.18 is the correct IP for that one? Because it's non-Windows, will it know I need the UK time?

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Time Zone is a separate setting on your computer. Doesn't matter what Time Server you use because your Time Zone will offset the Time when it updates.

Since you are in the UK you may want to use a Time Server closer to your location.
    http://www.timetools.co.uk/ntp-servers/ref/ntp-servers-uk.htm

5. Koot

Koot

You can also change the time update interval - how often your clock's time is updated with the time server. The clock is updated only once per week, which can allow the time to get off quite a few minutes depending on a number of factors.

This utility changes how often your clock to be updated. You can choose as often as once per hour:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_inet_time.htm

6. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar Thread Starter

What is "use DNS" setting all about?

I understand what a DNS is btw, but don't understand its use in this context

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

What does this have to do with your original question?

8. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar Thread Starter

I need to know what that means as the machine does not use a normal "internet" DNS.

Can someone please answer this question

9. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar Thread Starter

Anyone?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I do not understand your question, and suspect that neither does anybody else. What operating system? Where is this "use DNS" setting?

11. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar Thread Starter

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Duh, that makes sense (XP forum). :eek:

I think that Yes for Use DNS means you can use the name for the time server, while No for Use DNS means you have to use the IP address (the name is not known to DNS).

I tested my theory on the first two entries and it held up for that minimal testing. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice