1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

setting up 2 Linksys E1000 Router(s)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Marika65, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marika65

Marika65 Thread Starter

Okay
    very rusty with anything regarding Networking here. A friend of a friend has a business with 8 computers (3 lap
    tops) and then desktops. He uses Verizon. I have no idea about how to set this up correctly but, would
    like to try.

He got 2 Linksys routers and asked if I could get them to work on his network. I said I'd try.

There are NO INSTRUCTIONS -

do they go to the "boss computer" and then? I just don't know and feel too stupid to say I'm not sure.

It's probably very easy but, it's been years since I've worked on Networks.

Thanks in advance..........

(feel really stupid)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Without knowing anything about his network or how he wants to use the Linksys routers you could probably "get them to work" but the odds of that meeting his needs would be low.

You should be able to find the router user guide on Linksys's site.

3. Marika65

Marika65 Thread Starter

Hi Terrynet,

First of all, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

He has a house next to his business. He said when he goes to use his laptops for personal use
    he has to go to the side of the house that faces his business to get a good signal.

The "boss" computer is in his office. (I guess you call it the server) just can't remember the info I learned
    about networking)

I will look it up on the site and thanks again. Have a great day : )

Mari :)

4. Marika65

Marika65 Thread Starter

I found a pretty good instruction site on cascading routers but, did not get this to work. He has netgear with an old Linksys pugged into a "server" computer & then another computer. Wires (not labled) everywhere. A big mess.

I spent several hours trying to get it all to work. I took out the old Linksys router and hooked up the new one and knocked the computers off the network. I was just so frustrated (plus he was over my shoulder half the time which was stressing me out)

He ended up hooking everything up back to the way it was and it's working fine. He's going to get another friend to hook them up.

He also wanted the second Linksys router in his home just plugged in to make everything run faster. He was confusing me and I am the first to admit I'm so rusty when it comes to networking.

I was thinking of trying to go back over the weekend when he is not there to try it again but, not sure if it's worth my time as I just don't know the correct steps to take and I've spent several hours on different sites trying to figure this out. There is no cable or anything @ his house and I did not know that he could plug in the second Linksys into his home and have everything connected. I was thinking....you gotta have a cable somewhere. I don't know. It's been years. I'm really stubborn and hate to give up but, just don't know how the heck to do this correctly.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Even if you weren't rusty you'd still need to know what he has and what he wants to accomplish. Just some questions ...

What "controls" or provides the infrastructure for the current network--the router or the server? Does he want to replace the current router? Add another router, and if so how? Is he using dynamic or static addressing or a mixture on the network? Does he want to use one of the new routers as a wireless bridge or repeater in the house?

6. Marika65

Marika65 Thread Starter

Hi Terry,
    He currently has netgear & then an old Linksys hub - which works fine. He wanted to add 2 E1000 routers -one in his office and then one in his home.......(the one in his home he wanted to just plug in with no cables & have the 2 Linksys "talk to eachother" - I don't know if that is even possible..... The setup is: One computer as the server BUT, it's got cables to another computer - he didn't say he wanted to replace anything. A friend of his told him he should add these 2 Linksys routers so he could make everything in his office move faster - and the one at his house (2 laptops) would work just plugged in. So, what he wants, is to add 2 routers to his current network & have his home laptops moving quicker......repeater yes......but, I don't know about that as 7 years ago (when I did networking believe it or not) you had to have some cables. He wants WIRELESS period. He said he is not concerned about paying more for one (I'm thinking the E1000 is not up to par for what he wants) then again, I'm just feeling stupid at this point. He did say after hours of working on this last night he doesn't want to replace anything. He just wants to add the 2 E1000 Linksys to make the 4 or 5 computers in his office move quicker and his couple of laptops in his home (oh and his smart phone) to all work ----I'm so lost..........lol thanks for trying to help and I hope this is not too confusing

7. Marika65

Marika65 Thread Starter

p.s they don't work fine for his house. He has to go in one room in his house to get a signal from his office. .....

I'm still thinking of trying to get it working but, not sure if these routers are the right ones and even if so........no cables? His mom is also on the network and can log on from her home (about 2 houses away) he wants her to be able to log on as well. I don't know why he doesn't just get Verizon for his home and keep the business stuff in the office. Cutting corners - trying to save a few bucks. BTW I am not getting paid for this. I'm (or was trying to) do this because I was just trying to do a favor. (and I would like to get back to what I knew once upon a time regarding networking) Thanks Terry : ) Mari

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I see nothing in the user manual to indicate the E1000 includes this capability; however, there is DD-WRT firmware for it according to this article (and the ones it links to) and that probably gives it Repeater and Wireless Bridge functionality. I'd let him do the firmware installation, as it can brick the unit.

I have no clue how adding a router could "make the 4 or 5 computers in his office move quicker" and still don't understand the use of the E1000 in the office, but if it is supposed to be used as only ethernet switch and wireless access point the procedure is ...

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice