Setting up 2 raid arrays

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

huckknows

Here is what i want to do. Take my computer and set up 2 raid arrays. One with 2 120gb, in raid 1 for my os and applications, the other 2 300gb in raid 0.

Mobo - Asus KT800 Deluxe
2 120GB Seagate Barracuda SATA
2 300GB Maxtor Diamond Max 10 SATA

Now, the KT800 has two different raid controllers. First there is the Promise R20378 Raid controller. This is what I originally had my 2 120 GB drives on. Now I want to keep these on there for Raid 1, I will want to install my OS on there, and all of my applications.

The second Sata ports are controlled by the Southbridge controller. This has the VIA VT8237 controller. This I want to use for the 2 300gb drives for media.

I created the arrays, and I hooked all of the drives up, however when i go into windows xp setup, it stops before the setup and says, "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer." I am not sure how to fix this problem, I tried installing the scsi drivers by hitting F6, using the floppy, however it does not recognize any of the drives.

What do you think the problem is and how will I be able to rectify this situation?

crjdriver

Ok, if you are installing the os on the promise controller. It is a little more complicated than what you think. First the promise controller has three settings; ide, raid, and disabled. Since you had a raid array on it before, it "Should" be set to raid; it does not hurt to check in the bios however.
Next there are two different drivers for the promise controller. One for ide and one for raid. Make SURE you have the raid driver installed on the floppy; use the make disk feature of the asus support CD. Again make sure you use the one for raid not ide. Do not just copy the files; use the make disk feature. This is the best way because of needing the txtoem.txt file as well as the drivers.

Use the via raid manager to build your array on the via controller once you have the os loaded. I believe the new 4in1 drivers have an option to download the raid drivers and raid manager software from via's site.

What I have done for a few builds that did not have a floppy drive was to integrate the drivers into a custom install disk. This is a somewhat involved process, however it does make the install go faster since I do not have to hunt down a floppy and open the case to connect it temporarily.

crjdriver

One more thing. IMO the promise controller that comes onboard mb is junk. I have never been a fan of onboard raid. The new nforce4 raid controller is not bad for an onboard controller. It is the best onboard I have used. In any case the promise controller is at the bottom of my list.

If you are serious about raid, I would buy a real raid card. A real raid card gives you more options than the onboard controller does.

Be aware that the promise controller on asus mb just does not like an add in raid card. I had one system that would not even boot into the bios when a highpoint card was installed and the promise controller was enabled. After the promise controller was disabled in the bios, it booted fine. Just one more thing to keep in mind if you decide to buy a real raid card.

crjdriver

BTW connect just the drives to the promise controller at first. Connect the other drives after you have loaded the os and installed the via raid drivers and raid management software.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online