Setting Up 24 Windows 10 Computers An Easier Way

jimswanky

Hello!

I find myself in a rather tedious position. The company I work for is setting up 24 machines that need the same exact programs, files, settings, among other things put on them. They're basically going to be duplicate computers but named Machine 1, Machine 2, Machine 3, etc and the idea of doing the entire process 24 times isn't appealing. Is there a relatively simple way, whether it be through windows tools or third party software, to set up one complete computer and then clone and install that image onto the remaining 23 computers? I feel like I would have issues with Windows authentication on each computer but I imagine there's an easy way to fix that.

Edit: The computers are all the same make/model and, as far as I can tell, have the same hardware.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Couriant

James
Hello!

I find myself in a rather tedious position. The company I work for is setting up 24 machines that need the same exact programs, files, settings, among other things put on them. They're basically going to be duplicate computers but named Machine 1, Machine 2, Machine 3, etc and the idea of doing the entire process 24 times isn't appealing. Is there a relatively simple way, whether it be through windows tools or third party software, to set up one complete computer and then clone and install that image onto the remaining 23 computers? I feel like I would have issues with Windows authentication on each computer but I imagine there's an easy way to fix that.

Edit: The computers are all the same make/model and, as far as I can tell, have the same hardware.

A company like that should use Microsoft Deployment Tool (MDT) or the newer System Configuration Console Management (SCCM) to deploy Windows and any other apps, regardless of the computer.

Other software: Norton Ghost is one other that I have used, but prefer MDT / SCCM.

This link has other alternatives: https://www.g2.com/categories/os-imaging-deployment

Hello!

THE FIRST
Hello!

A friend of mine told me once he had done that process through the network, I mean installing Windows through the network.

Couriant

James
THE FIRST

A friend of mine told me once he had done that process through the network, I mean installing Windows through the network.
SCCM can do this, but doing all 23/24 at the same time will take up bandwidth. You can also have the image on a USB as well to install, however SCCM is complexed to set up but if it's set up correctly then it will make IT life easier.

jimswanky

SCCM can do this, but doing all 23/24 at the same time will take up bandwidth. You can also have the image on a USB as well to install, however SCCM is complexed to set up but if it's set up correctly then it will make IT life easier.
Thank you for the advice! I will look in to MDT and SCCM. Going the USB route is probably the more practical option for us. We don't need to do them simultaneously and none of us are particularly adept in the world of IT.

Couriant

James
SCCM requires a server so if this is not something you guys have, then you may have to look at Norton Ghost or the alternative software in the list.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
And, since "none of us are particularly adept in the world of IT", I think SCCM would be way out of their league. I believe there is a pretty steep learning curve involved ...

to set up one complete computer and then clone and install that image onto the remaining 23 computers?
Yes there is one conventional way to do this:
Windows ADK has the tools you need to customize Windows images for large-scale deployment
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install

You can customize Windows in any way you want, capture image and deploy to any amount of computers.

a relatively simple way
You're are working for IT company, for administrators "simply way" should be foreign word.
At least if you want a pay rise :)

crjdriver

Where I used to work, the IT dept had a number of images stored on an external drive. They named the images after the model of dell SO it was a pretty simple matter to restore the image. If you do not want to use a deployment tool, do the install on one machine. Use something like acronis true image to make an image of that machine. Store the image on an external, NAS, large flash drive, whatever. Boot each machine with the acronis boot usb and restore the image. You will have to change the name on the target machine to whatever you want.

Done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!