1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up a home network for the first time

Discussion in 'Networking' started by carjacker, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carjacker

carjacker Thread Starter

I have cable internet service and I just bought a new laptop. I know that I can get a wireless router for networking. What router should i get because I want to link my desktop, laptop and printer on the same network wirelessly. Keep in mind that my laptop doesnt have a slot for a wireless card But has one built in. Also what exacty does a USB wireless adapter do? Please help.

2. bpgood

bpgood

I would reccomend a Netgear or Linksys router.
    Note: Cisco owns Linksys, so you know they are good.

Wireless USB adaptor is used in the event that your machine doesnt have a Wi-fi adaptor. It provides the ability to move it from machine to machine so install is easy.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

All the routers you can buy are good these days with standards finally in place. I'd go for the one with the best price.

See this for some hints on setting your network up.

4. mattbrook

mattbrook

Hey why do they say DO NOT ENABLE FILE SHARING ? I have seen that on many sites. Does the router do that for you ? Secuirty risks.. Anyone have an answer ?

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/373964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice