1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

setting up a home network (with 1 on xp n the rest on win2000))

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ubamous3, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

hi,

i have a computer network at home and all the computers are on windows 2000 pro;i just bought a new computer but this one came with xp and i have had the toughest time creating the shares to the other computers, and i dont know what i am missing; please help!!!

ps on backgroun:
    1/this network is a peer to peer network and all the computers should be able to access everything on all computers.

2/i have disabled the firewall on the new computer in case that might be the problem

3/ i used the name workgroup on all the computers so they should be in sync.

4/ at one point, the other computers can see this new computer but on this computer, under network neighborhood\workgroup, it only shows itself as computers in the network instead of seeing all computers

5/ on the C and D partition, i even see the shared logo next to it showing that it's being shared.

So if there's a missing link, please let me know as i m desperate.

Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, make sure that NETBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on all computers, it's in the TCP/IP advanced properties section.

If that is still problematic, I suggest installing NETBEUI protocol on all the machines. For XP, you'll have to either get the files off the CD in the VALUEADD directory, or from this direct download that I keep around for this purpose. :) NETBEUI files for XP

3. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

thanks a lot johnwill! :)

that does work (enabling NETBIOS over TCP/IP part), but i noticed that not all of my computers have that set tho and it's still working; i dont really know what that function means but i 'm glad it s working.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

5. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

thanks LwdSquashman for the link :)

also, i noticed that when i access that new computer (on xp) from another computer, i can't seem to view certain folders such as program files and windows, but the data file folders are viewable; when i setup the share, i thought i specified maximum share and it always worked with win2000 pro; so this must be an xp feature; how do i set it up so that i can access everything on that computer remotely?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice