Setting up a Home Network with Wired/Wireless Components

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nshah0617

Hello guys-- Happy Holidays.

A few years ago my parents wired the house using ethernet ports dispersed around the house. Since now my sisters use laptops with built in WiFi, I recently bought and installed a Wireless Router/4 port switch to enable the laptops to connect without having to buy wifi cards for the pcs (they are using hard wires).

I want to set up a Home Network (file sharing/printing) between 2 PCs and 3 Wireless Laptops.

First--this is possible right? I don't think i need ALL wireless components or ALL wired components for a network to work.

Also I have been trying to use the XP (all computers have XP) network set up guide but my computers won't show the network nor be able to see other computers connected.
What should i do?

Thanks in advance for your help,

TerryNet

Terry
Welcome, nshah0617.

Yes, you can share files and printers among the five wired and wireless computers.

The first thing you need to do is make sure you have internet on each computer (or, if you are not sharing internet through the router, make sure all computers are connected to the router). Need help with this?

After all computers are connected via wireless or ethernet to the router, ...

On each machine run the Network Setup Wizard (can be found in Control Panel). Tell it that computer gets internet from "residential gateway," and enable file and printer sharing. Windows XP firewall will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls. Computers must have unique names but same Workgroup.

The Shared Documents folder will be shared automatically. For any other folder you want to share, right click on it and choose 'sharing ...'. You can optionally give write permission.

To share a printer connected to a computer, go to Printers and Faxes, right click on the printer, and choose 'sharing ...'.

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes; even hours) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers, and a few computer restarts.

On computers that want to use a printer that is on a different machine, when you can see the other computer's shares (shared folders and printers) in My Network Places, right click on the printer and choose "connect ...'.

nshah0617

Terry,

thanks for your speedy and helpful response.

My internet is set up and running (I really like the D-Link software).

I am going to follow the instructions you gave me and I'll report my progress.

Thanks again,

Neil

nshah0617

Terry,

When I run network wizard on an additional computer do i choose the "Use Shared Connection" or "No choose other way" option.

I don't think my computer are sharing internet since they are all connected to the router...

TerryNet

Terry
nshah0617, you choose the internet option that includes the phrase "residential gateway." That's two big words that mean, to us, "router."

nshah0617

Ok Terry-- My computer recognizes the Network but when i try to view the work group directory I get the following error

"Home is not accessible. You might not have access to network resource. Contact admin
The List of servers on the workgroup is not availaible"

TerryNet

Terry
"... when i try to view the work group directory ..."

Meaning that you go into My Network Places and click on 'View Workgroup computers,' right?

You get this on all 5 machines? No computers are found?

Did you take care of this: "You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls."?

nshah0617

So far I have only set up the network on two computers. One of them is able to identify the other but can't access the shared folder. My computer is unable to recognize/find hte other.

TerryNet

Terry
Most of the time this is caused by a firewall on "My computer." If you have any 3rd party firewall (maybe called "internet security") like Zone Alarm, Norton, McAffee, etc., uninstall it until you get a successful workgroup.

I probably won't be online again until Friday, but somebody else will likely respond to further questions/problems.

nshah0617

Ok Terry-- you were right about the Firewall!

Now i can see the networks,
but when i try to log on to a computer it says

Logon Failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

TerryNet

Terry
XP Home or XP Pro?

It asks for logon when you double-click a computer icon in My Network Places?

If the computer denying the logon is XP Home, go into Control Panel - Adminstrative Tools - Event Viewer - Security and see what network logon is being attempted and denied.

If either computer is XP Pro, go into Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab. At the bottom of the advanced settings see if Simple File Sharing is checked.

nshah0617

Terry, sorry for the delay-- and I greatly appreciate your assistance.

Let me just summarize the current situation.

I have 3 computers-- here are their names/properites

1. Mom-- Windows 2000 Proff with Two Printers
2. Rena-- Win XP Home with one printer
3. Neil (me)-- win XP home

Now the network is set up so I can see all computers but....

MOM and NEIL can't access Rena (access denied)
If I try to access MOM-- it asks for a username and password.
MOM/RENA can access NEIL fine.

I think I'm suppose to create duplicate accounts/usernames on Rena/MOM-- but I am not entirely sure.

Thanks again,

Neil

TerryNet

Terry
"MOM and NEIL can't access Rena (access denied)"

Firewall on Rena is first suspect.

"If I try to access MOM-- it asks for a username and password."

Probably something to do with accounts and/or file permissions, but I don't know much about Win 2k Pro.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you create account(s) on the 2K machine that match the name/password that is used to logon to the other machines, the password prompt will go away.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online