Setting up a hotspot issues.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kingmate01

Hi all,

Problem with setting up a hosted network so I can turn my pc into an internt hotspot.
Under network and sharing centre the access type is no internet access and the connections is local area connection. I wish to change the local area connection to a wifi connection so the access type will change to an internet access. This is my understanding of how to set up a network.

However, whenever I change to wifi in the sharing tab under properties the connection never changes. This is starting to annoy me. Even after deselecting the option for networked devices to use the pc's internet connection, clicking okay, and then going back and setting the setting to wifi.

This is starting to annoy me, espically because I had it working, but the computer got shut off.

Commands I am using are:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=<<id>> key=<<password>>

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Using the commands above as running windows 8.1

I'm assuming you must have an ethernet network card for the wireless traffic to be routed to the Internet.

What you would do is configure the SSID and password using that command, then start hostednetwork. Then in Network and Sharing Centre, go to the properties of the NIC that receives Internet and share that connection with the new virtual adapter that was created when you executed "netsh wlan start hostednetwork".

Then go to properties of the new virtual adapter and verify that there is Internet access. Although it may be worth to note that the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on Windows can take a bit of frustration and takes patience to get it to function properly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online