1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up a network with a wirless broadband connection ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eyedea40, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eyedea40

eyedea40 Thread Starter

I was wondering if it was possable to setup a network with my wireless broadband connection ? My Desktop PC is connected to the internet with my wirless broadband card. I have a Dlink wirless router.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes - it is a network

what is it you wan to do - please supply as much info as possible - with make and models

3. eyedea40

eyedea40 Thread Starter

it will be a basic small network. I wanted to have my PC as the connection point where i am accessing the internet, the router i am assuming will be connected to the pc ? I want to add my Laptop to the network and my PS3 to it either wirlessly or with a CAT5 connected directly to the router.

What confuses me is in the past setting up a home net work with the regular old modem dsl or cable was simple just pop in the disk it configures then you connect your wires and your done. Now how will the router configure when the internet connection is totaly wireless ?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    should just work - no drivers or CD's needed
    the wireless should be detected and you just click on connect and your away
    same with cable it should just work

HOWEVER

may need to check some of the setups

5. eyedea40

eyedea40 Thread Starter

Should i connect the router to my pc via the WAN port ? or just connect it to one of the open ports on the router ?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the make model of router

does it have a modem

WAN - connects to modem or telephone

PC connects to LAN ports

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

None of the above. You don't connect anything except your broadband modem to the WAN port. Just configure the laptop to connect to the wireless router. You don't need any special software, and you don't need a wired connection to the router.

8. eyedea40

eyedea40 Thread Starter

How can i connect the wirless card to the router ? thats my broadband connection.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I think I missed what you were talking about.

Do you have a wireless broadband PCMCIA card that comes with a subscription such as from Sprint or Cingular?

10. eyedea40

eyedea40 Thread Starter

exactly i have sprint broadband wirless connected to my home PC i used a PCMCIA to PCI addapter to do it.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You'd have to use Internet Connection Sharing. It's not an easy thing to set up under normal circumstances. I've not heard of anyone setting this up with wireless broadband.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice