1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up a network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CHR15B, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHR15B

CHR15B Thread Starter

I've never set up a connection like this before so any help would be greatly appreciated.

At the moment my home network is as follows, we have two PC systems with Wireless Netgear PCI cards fitted, and a Netgear ADSL Router which supplies the connection.

I've now got another system in my room I need tempoary access to along with my main PC. My main PC has an ethernet port on it.

How would I go about getting the connection onto my other PC shared with my main one using my wireless as a source of connection?

Thanks,

Chris

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is my understanding, as follows, correct? PC M has a wireless connection to your router, and also has an ethernet port. PC O has an ethernet port but no wireless capabililty and is too far to connect to the router via ethernet.

If all the above is correct you can connect the two PCs via cross-over ethernet cable. You can use a regular cable if either port is auto-sensing, also called MDI/MDIX. On PC M you should then be able to bridge (in Network Connections) the two connections. Or you can try ICS on PC M provided the router is not using the 192.168.0.x subnet.

Of course, getting another wireless adapter would be infinitely easier.

3. CHR15B

CHR15B Thread Starter

Its actually a laptop, the description above is correct and I have an ethernet so I'll likely bridge the connections.

A wireless dongle is on the way, however I'd like to get everything set up ASAP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice