1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up a raid mirror array with esata external drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by themusicalduck, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themusicalduck

themusicalduck Thread Starter

Is it possible to setup a mirror array with an internal drive and an external drive setup with esata? The main reasoning behind this is that I want to make a backup of one of my internal drives. The internal drive is 1.5TB made into two partitions, one 500 and ext3 and one 1000 and ntfs and the external is 750GB ntfs (I could format it to ext3) with no partitions. They use the same sata controller, so I can set it up in the bios as a mirror array.

I've done some research into it and it looks like it could work, but still want to be sure that there will be no problems.. My external drive is a little slower than my internal simply because it is slower to spin up in general. Would this slow things down as it waits for it? Or will it just rely on the one drive until the external is working? Do I need to do any setting up other than in the bios? I'm using Ubuntu 9.04.

Am I better off just using a backup program?

Sorry for all the questions, it'd be great if this could work instead of relying on just doing a backup every now and then.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/839896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice