1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up a remote connection in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vlatko, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vlatko

vlatko Thread Starter

hello!

i want to make remote connection, using internet, between my work pc and home pc. i have tried to do this via a free web based service called logmein (www.logmein.com) but i was really unsatisfied with the result. the connection between the computers was horrible, performance wise it was unbareable. i know windows xp has a built in remote connection tool so i decided to try that out, since both of my pcs have windows xp. only problem is i don't know how, more precisely i don't know where to start. if anyone can point me in the right direction i't would be appreciated.

here are my configurations:

WORK PC:
    pentium 2.2GHz
    1gb ram
    Windows XP Home SP2
    1024/192kbps ADSL
    NOD32 anti-virus and Look 'n Stop firewall

HOME PC:
    amd64 3500+
    1gb ram
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    1024/192kbps ADSL
    NOD32 anti-virus and Look 'n Stop firewall

as you can see they are fairly fast pc, business wise anyway, so i was little stumped how slow the logmein remote feature was. i have broadband, 1mbps dsl so i don't think it was the connection(i could be wrong of course).

anyway i'd like to try out the windows remote connection feature and see if it is more suiting for me. so any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks!!

2. vlatko

vlatko Thread Starter

Also, suggestions on which remote connect software you think is best and have good experience with are as well welcome. :)

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

The speed is going to be dependent on the speed of your Internet connection at home and work. To be more precise, your upload speed. You may have a super fast download speed for your Internet Connection but your upload speed may only be 384KBS. I get 3 megabit download speeds thru Road Runner but my upload speed is only 384. So remoting into my computer at home from Work is kind of slow.

Remote Desktop only works on XP Pro. Not XP Home! If you have a router in the mix of your broadband connection you will need to forward port 3389 on the router to the internal IP address of the computer you want to remote control.

You can enable Remote Desktop by going into Control Panel > System and selecting the Remote Tab.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/481936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice