1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up a Router behind an RG

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Domonin, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Domonin

Domonin Thread Starter

Hello all,
    Ive been searching all over the internet for my network setup but could not find any. So I thought why not start my question here:

First here is the question:
    I want to turn my RG into a modem and assign a Wireless N router behind the RG, having the router do all the good stuff routers do and have the RG only be a modem, how do I do this?

Okay so I have att uverse with 18 mbps internet. The RG 2-wire 3800HGV-B sucks and i have a Linksys N Router WRT160N that can expand its pathetic capabilities. I want the RG to be a modem and the Linksys to be the access point. It sounds so darn simple but it aint. I will try any method from anyone, I will not stop until i find a solution... I tried some method i dont know but now my desktop with a wifi adapter says limited access.. pissing me off and for some reason when i look in device maanger i see this Windows virtual mini adapter crap when its never been there before... thats another problem but I would rather focus on the RG modem setup.
    Thanks.

Domonin

2. Domonin

Domonin Thread Starter

3. Domonin

Domonin Thread Starter

I have a router behind a router setup. Basically a RG trying to make it a modem and Linksys Router; having the RG act as a modem and the Linksys Router acting as the router, doing all that good stuff plus assigning the IPS. So my RG is on 192.168.1.x and I assigned my Linksys Router as 192.168.3.x because I have a ddwrt router acting as a bridge to my xbox 360(since i didnt want to buy the stupid wifi adapter from microsoft) and assigned it to 192.168.2.x. So the question is: if any device connects to my Linksys Router, shouldn't the Ip be assigned to 192.168.3.x?? It shows on every device that it is connected to 192.168.1.x even though im not connecting through that anymore.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    RG? As in Residential Gateway?

What is your modem's model number? From what you have mentioned, the RG should not get an 192.168.1.x address...

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I merged your threads here. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice