1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up a router with a Bellsouth Westel Wirespeed router/modem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Alex Ethridge, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

We have internet connectivity with a Westel Wirespeed router/modem that works just great; however, when we connect the Linksys router (connected according to instructions), we have no connection to the internet and we cannot even ping the Westel router modem. I've done a dozen or more of these in the last six months so I know the wires are connected correctly.

After forty minutes of my fighting this thing on my own, I spent another two hours and ten minutes on the phone talking to some Indian whom I had to ask over and over to repeat what he was saying. Finally, I gave up and hung up on the guy who was begging me for the third time in his poor enunciations not to give up. I'd had enough.

Are there any pointers anyone here can give me? I tried another Linksys router today, hammering away at the problem, trying every experimental setting I could think of and I didn't get anywhere with it either.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since the Wirespeed is a router/modem, this is the way I'd connect them.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

3. Alex Ethridge

I've done everything you suggest except your paragraph three. I varied from it as follows:
    Westel Wirespeed (router/modem supplied by Bellsouth) default address is 192.168.1.254. I left it as it was. The Linksys' default address was 192.168.1.1. I changed that to 192.168.1.2. That didn't work so I tried 192.168.2.1 on the Linksys, which didn't work either.

I'll try your suggestion when I go back there this afternoon.

I've never had this much trouble setting up a Linksys router with a Westel Wirespeed modem from Bellsouth. As a matter of fact, I left that service call and went to another across town and had it working within five minutes of getting the wires connected--same service provider, Westel Wirespeed and Linksys Router.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you change any of the first three octets, you are not on the same subnet, that's a problem.

If your Wirespeed router has an IP address of 192.168.1.254 for instance, ALL the devices on the subnet should have an address of 192.168.1.x, where x is from 1 through 253. In your case, you should be able to leave the Linksys at it's default. However, you need to make sure that the Linksys is not in the range of addresses that the Wirespeed router has in it's DHCP address pool.

5. Alex Ethridge

Well, I went over there today, took the Linksys out of the box, connected it and set its IP to 192.168.2.1 and it worked right on the first boot. I rebooted and it still worked. I disconnected the power to everything, turned on the Westel, then the Linksys and then the computer. It still worked.

I didn't have to touch or change another thing.

If it works, I ain't messin' with it no moe.

6. Alex Ethridge

Well, it quit working again.

I tried your suggestions, John; but, they didn't work either.

I set the Linksys to 192.168.1.1 and plugged the Westel into one of the Linksys' LAN ports instead of the WAN port. I gave both computers a static IP and a static DNS. It started working again. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach as to how long it will continue to do so.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice