1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up a server.

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by maxibhoy, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

I wasn't sure where on this forum i could post this thread as i don't think there is a specific section for this. Anyway i shall be launching my new site soon but i'm keen to actually host it myself by setting up my own sever. This won't be a business in the sense that i won't be advertising to host for other sites but it will just be for my own (business) site and maybe my mother who has a site. So anyway these are quite ambitious plans considering i really don't have much of an idea how to exactly go about it. I understand there is free software to do this however but i'm really not sure what it is i'll need at all yet. I realise i will need to do some research and reading up on this myself which i fully intend to do so could anybody just point me int the right direction for stuff that i should read or just give me any kind of basic knowledge of what will be required. The hardware, i have it's just the software side of things i need heilp with. My site is not quite finished yet but is very nearly ready for launching. Anyway any help will be very much, greatly appreciated. Max.

2. namenotfound

namenotfound

You can check out Uniform Server. It will set-up a server for you on your computer, and then you can host your site directly from your computer. It has Apache, PHP, MySQL, Perl, and some other things.

3. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

That looks great namenotfound. Can you tell me are there any licencing issues i should be aware of, like do i need one? Or do i need to register as a server before i can begin to host my own site? Thanks for your help. Max.

4. namenotfound

namenotfound

Uniform Server is open source, so it probably uses the GNU license. basically what GNU says is you can use it and redistribute it, but you can't sell it (or something like that).

If you're just going to use it to host your business site, I don't think there would be any problems.

5. tomiboi

tomiboi

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    How will your server be connecting to the internet? Does your business all ready have some type of permanent internet connection?

7. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

No it does not. At present we have no site. It's a new business, very much in the process of setting up. The server will hopefully be connecting through my home, broadband, internet connection. Like i said it is an amitious plan considering my lack of knowledge but i'm certainly keen on giving it a go. I've been reading quite a bit on the net and it's very hard to understand a lot of it coming from so little experience in that area. I'm looking for someone to give me the basics of what i need to do and if there's anything i have to understand more i can target and study that as need be. I really need help from the ground upwards. I've looked at both packages posted here but i know there's quite a few more things i need to know and do so any further assistance would be very welcomed. Thanks Max.

8. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Not sure how broadband providers work in Scotland. In the USA many residential broadband services have slower uplink speeds (sending data from your computer(s) out to the internet) than downlink speeds. This could impact your web site if more than a couple of people are visiting it at the same time.

Also, most residential plans specifically prohibit running any kind of web or e-mail server. Having a static IP address usually adds to the monthly charges but does simplify maintaining a domain name.

9. Tact

Tact

good point, ccwwozniak. that's something that didn't occur to me when i was playing around with hosting my own site. :p and i do remember i have somewhat lame upload speeds. -_-

but maybe i can at least help out a bit regarding the other stuff. (hey, at least you'll come out of it knowing something if in the end you end up paying for a host anyway). I welcome any new learning experience. Here's mine, hope it helps.

(ps, sorry if it sounds basic, back when i started, i didn't know any of this :p don't mean to dumb things down or anything)

What I found out, is that you can't really host anything without the apache web server. this program, makes it so that whatever info you put on it, can be viewed through the internet. kinda like how you allow to share files via a p2p program by saying "ok, share this folder" if you want others to see it. works the same way except for the purpose of hosting a site. only the things you put inside the correct directory will be vieawable by others.

if you're gonna have a simple simple site. that's prolly all you need. put all your website files in the right directory, turn on the apache webserver, and walla. (well ok not that easy, then you'd need to know your ip i think and make a domain name forward to it? darn. i forgot those little steps)

well anyway. if you wanna have a forum or blog (installation type blogs) or other similar software, THATS when you need php and mysql. cause that stuff normally runs on those things. each is installed seperately as well if you d/l them individually. (isntallatiosn are always a pain in the bum).

that's why those two links above seem really awesome cause it looks like they streamlined and simplified the whole thing.

let me know if you need any more basic info or metaphors or whatever. i'm pretty good with that cause that's how i have to translate everything to myself in order to finally get it. :p

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Starting a new business is a huge under-taking. You'll be spending many long hours on just the business side of things. Perhaps you should consider having someone else host and write your web site so you can focus on the business.

11. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

Yeah tell me about it. I have designed and wrote the site myself already anyway. The connection speed was a concern to me although i do have a good connection speed here. (10mb) i'm not exactly sure what the upload is but i'm going to contact my isp and see if i'll be allowed to run a server from here.
    Tact my site is simple so i believe apache would probably do for me. Could you give me a bit more info on what i need to do about forwarding my domain to my ip. I have my domain name purchased and i ahve a static ip address. Not sure if this will be good or bad for this however. Thanks for all the help by the way. Max.

12. Chris_E

Chris_E

Did you get this stuff answered in the end Max?

I use SME Server, zero cost OpenSource software frmo www.contribs.org. Connected via a Pipex static IP link. Works perfectly for web, email etc.

Chris

13. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

No i didn't really mate. I've been quite busy with other stuff recently but i'm still looking for any help i can get, Cheers Max.

14. Chris_E

Chris_E

Well, I can really recommend the Linux code I pointed to in my note. It runs on a quite low spec PC (doesn't need to be a server machine). As long as its got 2 LAN interfaces, it will do teh job for yuo with ease. I've installed a number and each is normally online within an hour of arriving on site - from scratch.

I see you needed to check with your ISP about upload speeds. Unless you are apying top cash, I'd expect your ISP will give you around 256Kbps uplink, even if he is providing you with say 8Mbps of downstream data (ie. to you from the web). Which ISP are you with Max?

Also, you said earlier "Could you give me a bit more info on what i need to do about forwarding my domain to my ip."

Depending who you puchased your domain from, you should (may) have a login control panel to configure your DNS settings. By default, when you buy a domain, teh name "www.mydomain.co.uk" for example will reside on the ISP's IP address. To move it to your static IP, you'll need to config the DNS table at the domain provider site to point www to your IP. Also do FTP and if hosting your own email server (like I do) you will set up MX records.. more on that if you need help, lemme know and we can do that too.

Anon!

Chris

I have my domain name purchased and i ahve a static ip address. Not sure if this will be good or bad for this however.

15. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

Hey Chris thanks a lot for your help mate.
    Right, I was a bit confused with this
    Not sure what you meant there mate. My download speed is 10mbps but i have not phoned isp yet (really have been busy) anyway isp is NTL who have just very recently changed actually to Virgin Media. My domain name i got from www.freeparking.co.uk
    But actually i got someone to do it for me so i'm not sure what she put for certain things. The address (www.maximus-electronics.co.uk) is showing under construction page at present as she told me she had to make a decision as to whether to do that or not without me but i don't know what the other choices where. Obviously though it must have wanted to know if she was ready to set it up then and there. I will have a look on the site and see if i can see the dns settings and see if it makes sense to me. I'll let you know how i get on. Thanks again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice