1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up a test server at home.

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by pandapete, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pandapete

pandapete Thread Starter

Hello.

A friend of my dad has suggested that I use these forums if I have any problems as they are very helpful.

I am a schoolie and am studying computers in my spare time. I am trying to learn php and mysql at the moment and have a couple of questions.

I would like to be able to set up a test server in the real world, that is, not just on my desktop, so that I can see how I am going with real time actions.

What am I going to need to set this up.

Do I have to have a domain first?

I want to have it running with Linux, not windows. What Linux do I need.

Would an old MMX (233 I believe) computer be sufficient to handle just testing?

Is there anything else that I will need? I have broadband

Thank You.

Peter

2. Rockn

Rockn

Pretty much any distro of Linux can be set up as a web server. Debian is a good one, but the learing curve is a little steep. Apache is the preferred web server. You are pusing it with a 233 CPU and it may not run at all.

3. pandapete

pandapete Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply Rockn.

I know that it is going to be a steep learning curve. Have started on html and CSS awhile back and now looking for more challenges. I am not able to do computer studies at this school until next year.

Do I need to use an operating system before using apache or does Apache go straight into DOS.

I thought that a 233cpu might be a little too slow also, especially with only 128mb of ram, but I cannot afford a larger unit . I don't want to mess up my windows based comp at the moment. I use it for other things. If I were able to get a P111 500 do you think that it would be enough? Might be able to get a box with pocket money at an auction.

Thank you for your patience.

Pete

4. Rockn

Rockn

Apache is installed on top of Linux which would be your operating system. I have a web server running Windows 2000 server, Exchange server/file server and it is only a PII 300 with 512MB and it runs fine. I have aslo done some PHP on it running the windows web server with no problems. For some reason Linux has never run well for me performance wise.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I had Apache running on Netware 6.0 on a PII 300mhz computer. You can certainly run linux on that old computer. I just wouldn't install a Graphical user interface. Do everything from the command line.

When I worked for a school district, I had Linux running on old Pentium 200 with 64mb of ram. It was my auditing box. Ran just fine from the command line.

6. pandapete

pandapete Thread Starter

Thank you everyone. I will try and give it a go and let you know.

I am just interested in getting something out there and playing around with it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice