1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

setting up a VPN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Chimera, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chimera

Chimera Thread Starter

hi all ,
    I want to setup a VPN with my step dad , we are trying to figure this all out . and it's leaving us stumped , we would only be sharing small amount of files back and forth , . but we would mostly like to set this up for games. some of the games we play don't have direct IP connect and we don't like the hassle of playing with others when we would much rather just play with our friends.

His network is a little larger then mine when it comes to the network hardware.
    his main connect (wan) is a linksys BEFSR41 4 port router . with a switch and WIFI access device.

mine I have Dlink DI-624 and a dlink 8 port switch.

he has 4pc's 2 laptops three are running xp pro/home the rest are running 98se and I have 3 pc's and a laptop all running XP pro/home.

whats the best way in setting this up so we can see each other like a normal lan?

2. Chimera

Chimera Thread Starter

Ok does anyone know much about VPN at all , or is this a lost cause ?

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

4. Chimera

Chimera Thread Starter

thx I know have something to read about it , I have looked at a couple sites and Ihope this puts some more light on my area of need

5. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Do you have any specific questions??
    What is stumping you??

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Chimera,

It sounded like you just wanted some guidelines to start with. Hopefully now that you mention that you now have something to read, you are at least making start.

7. Chimera

Chimera Thread Starter

I just need some thing to start with , everything else I had read on didn't talk anything about behind a router , but now I have seen two different setup's I will have to try both and see if that works .

using a vpn will this solve any problems with games ?
    say I start a lan game of some thing will people on the other end of the VPN see it as a lan game ?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice